The Birds and the Bees - Page 6 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #51 (permalink)

Photos: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanite View Post
Would you really like to see more?
I'm all eyes!

Ed
Ed McDonnell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 PM   #52 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Wondered when you would get to the obligatory duck shot...

Verry nicely done!

https://www.facebook.com/thestatepen/
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #53 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed McDonnell View Post
Quote:
Would you really like to see more?
I'm all eyes!
Well, would you'd like: Bitterns, Blackbirds, Coots, Doves, Ducks, Egrets, Herons, Moorhens, or more perching birds?
Sylvanite is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #54 (permalink)

Photos: 43

How about small perching birds like warblers. Butterflies are always great to look at as well.

Ed
Ed McDonnell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #55 (permalink)

Photos: 4

I think there are enough Bittern Coots on this site, so some of the others would be good.
Brian G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #56 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDWine View Post
OK, it's a photographer thing... gimme the gear run-down
Would you believe:

Just kidding . I used a Canon 7D Mk II body with a Sigma 150-600mm lens. I'd only used the lens once before, so I missed a lot of shots getting used to it, and several because it doesn't focus closer than 10ft, and a few more because I inadvertently moved the focus range limiter and image stabilization switches to the wrong positions at one point. There also were times when I simply couldn't zoom out wide enough.

All in all, though, I can't fault the camera or lens for image quality. When I did my job right, they did theirs. - and that's something I think holds true for most cameras and lenses.

Regards,
Eric
Love the birds in flight, especially the heron. I've been trying for years to get a good heron in flight, and am still not happy with what I've gotten. Love the autofocus abilities. Is that a full frame sensor in that model?

Gary
Old 01-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed McDonnell View Post
How about small perching birds like warblers. Butterflies are always great to look at as well.
Ok, here's a White Peacock Butterfly that I happened upon while looking for Bitterns:

and a reflection that I found interesting.

I hope you like them,
Eric
Old 01-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgaryw View Post
I've been trying for years to get a good heron in flight, and am still not happy with what I've gotten. Love the autofocus abilities. Is that a full frame sensor in that model?
The camera I used has an APS-C (1.6x crop) sensor, not full-frame. That has both advantages and disadvantages.

The trick to getting in-flight shots is to go somewhere where there's lots of activity (such as when the herons are building nests); set up in a good spot; learn to anticipate bird behavior; and be ready when they take off. After that, it's mainly practice in acquiring and maintaining good framing of the bird.

My vision is poor, so I wouldn't even try photographing birds without autofocus. Long ago, before cameras had autofocus, I knew a guy who had a (film) camera mounted on a gunstock. The foregrip had a squeeze bulb that drove the focus and the trigger released the shutter. He would track a bird in flight, squeeze the bulb to focus, and then pull the trigger. Photographing birds was much like hunting them with a scoped rifle. It's much easier today.

Regards,
Eric
Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #59 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgaryw View Post
I've been trying for years to get a good heron in flight, and am still not happy with what I've gotten. Love the autofocus abilities. Is that a full frame sensor in that model?
The camera I used has an APS-C (1.6x crop) sensor, not full-frame. That has both advantages and disadvantages.

The trick to getting in-flight shots is to go somewhere where there's lots of activity (such as when the herons are building nests); set up in a good spot; learn to anticipate bird behavior; and be ready when they take off. After that, it's mainly practice in acquiring and maintaining good framing of the bird.

My vision is poor, so I wouldn't even try photographing birds without autofocus. Long ago, before cameras had autofocus, I knew a guy who had a (film) camera mounted on a gunstock. The foregrip had a squeeze bulb that drove the focus and the trigger released the shutter. He would track a bird in flight, squeeze the bulb to focus, and then pull the trigger. Photographing birds was much like hunting them with a scoped rifle. It's much easier today.

Regards,
Eric
ERIC: First of all very outstanding photo in all respects.

However i bit confused with your equipment, on post 36-56 you say 7D Mark 11 with sigma 150-600 lens. so are you using two different camera for you photos listed?

I run a 5d Mark 11with a boat load of 2.8 canon lens and have great results, not as good of what you have.

charlie
Dieseldoc is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldoc View Post
However i bit confused with your equipment, on post 36-56 you say 7D Mark 11 with sigma 150-600 lens. so are you using two different camera for you photos listed?
Just one camera and lens. The Canon 7D series cameras have APS-C (1.6x) sensors, unlike the 5D and 6D series which have "full frame" (35mm) sensors.

I'd love to have a 5D Mk III or Mk IV, or a 5DS, but I can't justify the expense. Ditto for the Canon 100-400mm Mk II lens.

Regards,
Eric
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads