Big disapointment and a warning (Long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

On Tuesday I received an E-mail from Supposedly Japan inquiring what credit cards I accept as he wanted to buy some pens from me. In his e-mail he also stated that he has his own shipping agent he would like me to use (first red flag). I answered and told him the CC's I accept and with-in and hour he sent me an order for 12 pens and a e-mail link to his preferred shipping agent. I then E-mailed his agent with the weight and dimensions of the box and also with-in and hour received the cost for shipping. Now you need to be seated when I tell you the cost and terms:

3-7 day delivery---------$500.00
2-3 day delivery---------$720.00

Terms were paid by e-money transfer or western union wire transfer only.
After getting this I laughed so hard that is still hurts, but decided what the hell lets play this to the end.
I emailed to " scammer" I mean customer that I received the shippin quote and would he prefer regular shipping @$500.00 or express @$720.00.
Wouldn't you know it he wanted my pens so bad he prefered express shipping.
I then E-mailed him with my terms. Full payment up front the Credit Card CVV number from the back, the billing address on the CC had to match the shipping address and also his phone # and the phone # of the shipper.
All E-mails I've sent him have been answered with-in an hour except the last one Hmmmmmmm I wonder if it was something I said :rolleyes: Sure hate to lose such a big order :wink:.
Guys and Gals be careful this one was pretty easy to spot from the begining but if you have a Web-site the'er looking to scam you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Unfortunately it doesn't take many people to fall for this for it to be very profitable for the scammer. I work for a large retailer and we get hit with scams all the time but I've never seen this one before.

Skye

Don't worry, I know the king of Nigeria personally, he'll send some people over to teach him a lesson.

OKLAHOMAN

Update!!!!!!!!!

Update!
About an hour ago I received an e-mail from the customer with 2 Visa Credit card #'s and Instructions to charge $300.00 to each card until the full amount is paid for.
I called up my service provider and they gave me the visa fraud phone #. Seems this is a practice that the scammers are using in case the person who's ID they have has a $300 per transaction limit. I emailed the scammer and told him he needs to call his bank as the cards have been rejected.

redfishsc

Just wait until Hurricane Ike jacks fuel prices up to $10 a gallon because he destroyed all the oil rigs and the oil companies are just in terrible shape and have to charge so much because bla bla bla bla.

Had you not been as discerning as you are, Oklahoman, some loser at OPEC would have not only your gas money but 12 of your pens and $720 to spend to have his Lambo buffed and waxed.

I then E-mailed his agent with the weight and dimensions of the box and also with-in and hour received the cost for shipping. Now you need to be seated when I tell you the cost and terms:

This guy really isn't a very smart scammer... surely he didn't think people would just fork over $720 for shipping on 12 pens. Twelve pens would fit in a small box and weigh less than 10 kilos... which is a minimum weight shipment.. a minimum shipment to most places in the world via almost any airlines you pick is under $100. Add another additional $50-$75 for documentation and insurance... duties and customs clearance at destination is for the account of the buyer anyway, so you wouldn't be laying that out up front.. he really must have thought you just this minute fell of that turnip truck.

If he had come up with $200 to $300 for shipping, he might have been more successful.

Daniel

gratefully these scams are still fairly recognizable to. On the other side of that coin some are beginning to get very refined. Lucky for us they no longer have the element of surprise.

jrc

I do not even waste my time reading an email if I see it is to ship out of the country no matter what the order is. There are plenty of other pen makers all around the world they can screw, not me.

Texatdurango

I do not even waste my time reading an email if I see it is to ship out of the country no matter what the order is. There are plenty of other pen makers all around the world they can screw, not me.

Jim,
To each their own, but I'm glad I don't think like that! My best steady customer is overseas. And his correspondance looked shaky at first as well with a first order that looked too good to be true followed by payment methods unfamiliar to me. That was several thousand dollars ago, now we have a smooth running order/shipping process.

I think I'll continue reading all my mail and using good judgement to sift out the scams. If you have pen requests from oveseas locations you don't want to read, just forward them to me, I'll waste my time reading them!

gerryr

Sounds like you're saying all people outside the US are dishonest. We have a fair number of members here who are not in the US, so I guess they must be dishonest also.

leehljp

Member Liaison

Hey JRC, I just took you off of my mailing list! :biggrin: Will I be permitted to order from you when I retire in the good old US of A in a couple of years? :rolleyes:

chriselle

Hey Jim,,

Don't hold it in... Tell us how you REALLY feel..:rotfl:

Humour us all and expound on the "they" in your post.

Please! Do discuss.

OKLAHOMAN

And the beat goes on! Received this today!

The guy won't quit! Notice the non use of capital letters.I changed my e-mail to at and dot but left his in hopes that he'll start getting e-mails by the 100's:biggrin::wink:.

RE: Mail order?Quote?

Monday, October 6, 2008 2:34 PM

"Kenny Moore" <kennymoore010@hotmail.co.uk>
Add sender to Contacts

To:
"ROY ROBALDO" <pensbyroyATbcglobalDOTnet>

#yiv2004065514 .hmmessage P { margin:0px;padding:0px;} #yiv2004065514 { FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;} Hi
how are you,i am mailing in regards to my order with you..i just got back from a business trip and i took the liberty to check on my credit card problems and have gotten new credit cards for my international charges,so let me know if you can still process my order for me then i can pay up my order right away now.
Kenny

bitshird

Boy oh boy!!! Jim thanks for the warning, I guess I better quit shipping pens to Holland, Sweden, France and Norway, Oh wait, they paid . Well never mind.

Top Bottom