Bethlehem Olive my Observations in Israel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgsean

Hi All,

I have just returned from a 3 week visit to Israel, Jordan and Turkey. I had a fantastic time! I love Olive wood, and I had made some pens from BOW, and I just wanted to share what I found during my trip. I visited Bethlehem separate to the tour that I was on. Ghasan the owner of the Bethlehem Olive wood online (Bethlehem Olive wood - Bethlehem Olive Wood) and shop in Bethlehem Tree of Life organised the visit. He picked my group up from Tel Aviv and dropped us back after an amazing tour of his store, factory at home, and around Bethlehem. He even took us to the Church of Nativity where Jesus was born, and took us around Bethlehem and showed us the Olive trees. He also showed us a number of things, and on a particular road near the refugee camps, it was a bit scary but I won't go into the details. Needless to say there are constant problems! I was very fortunate to be able to visit Bethlehem. I would like to say that there are plenty of Olive trees all over Bethlehem and all over Israel. There is no shortage at all! I am attaching several pictures of them. Some are very old even upto over 2000 years old like in the Garden of Gethsemane, and others of varying ages. The fine for cutting down an Olive Tree in Israel is USD 5000. The branches have to be pruned regularly. I am convinced beyond doubt that Ghasan and his store provide genuine BOW. I am putting up the evidence that I collected. There are pictures of olive trees, of his store, his backyard where he stores the stock and dries the olive wood etc. There are heaps more, but I've just put in a few. I leave the conclusions to all of you, but I have no hesitation in saying I am convinced. I must also say that Ghasan has some really good wood carvers who work for him, and his prices are very reasonable in comparison to some of the other stores I visited in Jerusalem. The hospitality was excellent too. Another interesting thing I found was that there are also plenty of olive trees in Jordan as well.

Cheers,
Sean

Attachments

• B Olive Trees and Me1.jpg
    B Olive Trees and Me1.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 518
  • B Olive Trees and Me.jpg
    B Olive Trees and Me.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 590
  • Olive Trees 1.jpg
    Olive Trees 1.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 343
  • Olive Trees 2.jpg
    Olive Trees 2.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 406
  • Olive Trees 3.jpg
    Olive Trees 3.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 184
  • The Stock BOW.jpg
    The Stock BOW.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 294
  • Bethlehem Ghasan's Backyard with me.jpg
    Bethlehem Ghasan's Backyard with me.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 456
  • Bethlehem Olive Ghasan's Backyard Natural Drying.jpg
    Bethlehem Olive Ghasan's Backyard Natural Drying.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 357
  • B Olive Trees2.jpg
    B Olive Trees2.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 295
  • B Olive Trees3.jpg
    B Olive Trees3.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Tree of Life.jpg
    Tree of Life.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 326
  • Tree of Life1.jpg
    Tree of Life1.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Tree of Life3.jpg
    Tree of Life3.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 360
  • Tree of Life2.jpg
    Tree of Life2.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 403
  • Bethlehem Ghasan's Backyard.jpg
    Bethlehem Ghasan's Backyard.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 397
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

My friend just got back from Israel as well.

Do you have a good reliable source that exports bow?

I'd really like to find some larger turning stock.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, Sean.
I wish that I had known about Ghasan's shop when I visited Israel in 2012, but that was before I got into pen turning & I only had one day to spend in Bethlehem.
I'm sure that I will be ordering from Ghasan very soon.

Edgar

tgsean

Fortunately the guy who was driving us arranged by Ghasan, was able to be both in Israel and the Palestenian Authority in Bethlehem, so we did not have to change drivers, but I know that it does happen.

ossaguy

I'll bet that place smells wonderful!!!

I keep a raw blank of BOW just to take in a deep breath of the sweet aroma every now & then.

Thanks for posting his website.

Steve

tgsean

It sure does smell good Steve. I loved being in his shop. I had the opportunity to visit the factory too. They have a huge machine there called the master carver, and that helps to duplicate a master carving. This is how he does the simple carvings but the more sophisticated ones are all hand done. Its amazing. I also went to another store, they had exquisite stuff too but much more expensive. I'll try and attach a picture.

tgsean

Carvings from another store

This was an olive wood carving from another store. Can anyone take a guess on what this was worth in USD?

Sean

Attachments

• Lords Table.jpg
    Lords Table.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 239

bruce119

Sean, Great story, nice photos, thanks for sharing, what memories you must have, what an exsperance...

That table seen above Boy how can you put a price on it...
Is it carved from one piece of wood, can't quite tell from that angle...
It looks as the figures are attached still what craftsmanship....
THANKS..

SDB777

Very cool!!

So, with the extreme surplus of BOW wood available, it will come down to 'normal' costs now? My thinking is it has been in a 'bubble' for a long time....and for that reason, I don't buy it. Especially when I can get Olivewood from Texas and it looks the same...

Sounds like you had an excellent trip. Thanks for the photo's!

Scott (nice carvings too) B

tgsean

I don't think that it is from one piece. I could be wrong. Its quiet large actually, and you would need a Palace to display that. I just photographed it as I too was so amazed at the craftsmanship.

TurnaPen

Thanks for sharing the pictures,very beautiful and interesting. When I was in Sicily (my birth place) in 2011, I saw many similar large old Olive trees; the great interest of Bethlehem Olive wood, of course, is the association with the life of Christ. Amos:)

tgsean

New Pictures and Explanation of the Olive Trees in the Garden of Gethsemane

I have been told that there are awesome olive trees in Italy. I would be interested to know if they export the wood anywhere Amos?

You are right the Olive tree is often referred to as the tree of life, and closely related to the birth place of Jesus Christ. In fact the mount of Olives gets its name from the fact that on the slopes of the mount there are lots of olives, and of course more so during the time of Jesus. Interestingly the Olive trees don't grow well on the top of the mount of Olives as its 50 m too high and the olives get bitter. The Garden of Gethsemane which literally means Oil press is located at the foot of the mount of olives and has some of the oldest olive trees. The Olive tree in the Jewish tradition has several connotations to it. One of them is that, even if you cut the branches right down the olive tree grows back, and so nothing can wipe out the Jewish nation, and God knows lots of people have tried. However, in the land of the Bible, it was, and is, the most important of all the trees because it is a source of food, light, hygiene and healing. The trees were always plentiful around the countryside and are known for their tenacity. They grow in almost any condition: on terraced hills or in valleys, in rocky or fertile soil. They can thrive in great heat with a minimum of water, and are virtually indestructible. Some grow from root systems 2,000 years old, yet the olive producer has to wait fifteen years for his first good harvest. It was an olive leaf that a dove from Noah's ark brought to Noah, "Then the dove came to him in the evening, and behold, a freshly plucked olive leaf was in her mouth; and Noah knew that the waters had receded from the earth" (Gen. 8:11). Whatever else succumbed to the flood waters, the hearty olive tree was still alive. At least since the time of Julius Caesar, one of the universal emblems of peace has been that of the olive branch.

There are other reasons, but I can't remember them. I've attached a few pictures from the Garden on Gethsemane. Enjoy

Cheers,
Sean

Attachments

• Garden of Gethsemane.jpg
    Garden of Gethsemane.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 206
  • Garden of Gethsemane1.jpg
    Garden of Gethsemane1.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 195
  • Garden of Gethsemane2.jpg
    Garden of Gethsemane2.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Garden of Gethsemane3.jpg
    Garden of Gethsemane3.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Garden of Gethsemane4.jpg
    Garden of Gethsemane4.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 190

TurnaPen

Sean, I cannot say about any export of Olive wood from Europe, I know I have some pictures of similarly large trees in Sicily, I remember remarking on their size to my wife. Just love the beautiful grain in some of the blanks, wood is a lot like us people, we may look and sound rough, but when Christ gets a hold of us and "turns us around" suddenly there is a beauty revealed that we did not know was there. How often does it happen, a piece of wood that didn't seem like much , suddenly reveals an exquisite beauty!!! Amos:)

Top Bottom