Best use for 7 3/4" x 1 1/8" sq Cocobolo?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I am making a cane as a Christmas present (yes, I know, I'm running out of time). I bought three 1 1/8" square by 18 1/8" long pieces of Cocobolo to be used in the cane. One of the pieces has some AMAZING figure that runs through the entire length (including three knots), and that's going to be the center part of the cane. Each piece got trimmed to about 10 3/8", and the remainder (approximatley 7 3/4" x 1 1/8" square) is just sitting there staring at me. I know I can use these as pen blanks, and can make at least one BIG pen (Emperor/Gent/Statesman) or at least four slimlines from each blank, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas on how best to use these blanks. I hate the idea of turning down such great figure, and the knot that's left over in the one cut-off is big enough that it would probably take up half of a pen (thus losing the effect). So, before I cut these down, I thought I'd solicit suggestions for how best to use them...and no Tom, I won't send them to you for safe keeping! :D Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimGo
...and no Tom, I won't send them to you for safe keeping! [:D]

I will have you know that I had absolutely no intention of telling you to send it to me for safe keeping....

I was going to tell you to give it to me as a Christmas present [}:)][}:)]

dubdrvrkev

Well if you won't send it to Tom...
They would make some nice finials or mini birdhouse bodies for my ornaments. You know, just if you can't find anything else to do with them. [;)]

Randy_

Take a look at the Tower Desk Pen at PSI.

Light pulls or ceiling fan pulls.

Handles for letter openers or magnifying glass.

Bottle stoppers.

Handles for miniature turning tools.

Probably a little late for this comment; but.......Knots are weak spots in wood and I would be concerned about the strength of my cane segments if each one of them has a knot right in the middle of it...unless you have decided to use a metal reinforcement through the center of the wooden segments??

woodwish

Please send my share to Tom, my skin starts to itch just thinking about cocabola after breaking out so bad last summer from it. Seriously, it would make some nice bottle stoppers.

Thumbs

As always,the <b>BWSS</b>, is available and willing to store this endangered wood for you and keep it safe from all those itchy fingered folk!

[:p][}:)][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom