Best Place To Get Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mischief1273

Whether it's from a member here, a business that sponsors IAP or an internet company, where is the best place )BEST VALUE) to get:

Pen Kits:
Acrylic Blacks:
Corian Blanks:
CA Glue:
Bits:
Bushings:
Turner Tools:

Also, as a side note, I have been turning pens for only a few months and am looking for a better lathe. What are your "professional" opinions and experiences with some reasonably priced lathes that are variable speed and reversible? Preferably less than $500

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

All of our suppliers here offer reasonable pricing and what I have found to be excellent support and service...many run sales, some as often as weekly. However, their regular pricing is also very good.

The others as will be named as JP did, are also very good and many of those support the IAP by offering prizes and discounts during IAP events.

700 pens and two years ago, I really needed to talk to somebody about what I was buying and what to do, not to do etc. It was important to me that I was able to pick up the phone and talk to the supplier. I buy from those same guys today; and they don't charge any more (sometimes less) for answering calls and returning emails.

FWIW...just my experience. Welcome!

TonyL

Jet 1015VS when on sale, but not reversible, but the Rikons, etc. are also frequently used, but don't have any experience with them. I do like having the reversible option as my 1221 does. But the 1015 is also nice. See what the others say about the other models.

Sappheiros

There are so many websites/stores to choose from! A lot of suppliers can be found right here on the forums. These sellers really do care about the individual consumers. If you're looking for something specific, I would try posting in the marketplace what you need and what you can spend if you're having trouble finding anything. There is such a wealth of knowledge here.

For a lathe, you can find them in many sizes. The question has to be what size "things" do you want to make? Are we talking about just pens? There are many lathes just for pens really. There are mini lathes, midi lathes, going all the way up to industrial sizes. Obviously the larger it is, the more it costs. I went with a midi lathe for the extra bed space and paid around $600 for it. The midi lathes are generally somewhere around 6-7 hundred. When choosing a lathe, it's useful to have one with variable speed (you can change a nob on the lathe and the speed goes up or down) rather than moving belts around constantly. Also, when working with wood, the reversible lathes are important for getting a better sanding job done without removing and reversing the object.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Any of the vendors listed in the Vendor Forum and Vendor Catalogs section of the IAP Marketplace area are good choices and most of them are ardent supporters of IAP.

I try to spread my orders around a little, but my main go-to vendors are PSI, Exotic Blanks, WoodTurningz, WoodNWhimsies and Bear Tooth Woods.

The best lathe to buy is a purely personal decision and depends on how you plan to use it and what you want to get out of it.

If there is a Woodcraft or Rockler or other similar store near you, I would encourage you to visit them and get a first hand look at the lathes they have available. You might even be able to try some of them out. There are some Jet and Rikon lathes in your general price range, probably others as well.

I started with a $200 Excelsior lathe from Rockler (identical to one of the Harbor Freight models) and added a NOVA DVR XP last year. I've never really missed not having VS on the Excelsior because I don't drill on the lathe and I do all my pen turning, sanding & finishing at high speed (even with the NOVA), so I rarely had to move my belt. Even now with the NOVA, about the only time I use the VS is when I'm turning bowls or other large blocks of wood. I still haven't used the reverse mode of my NOVA -- maybe someday.

If you plan to drill on the lathe though, then VS is certainly a good thing to have.

JimB

There isn't an answer to your question. What one person feels is a good value another will not. Everyone has their preferred kits, brand of tools, brand of ca and everything else. Any of the vendors that you find discussed on here are good to deal with.

To give you an example, I bought a set of 8 Harbor freight tools for about $60 when I started 8 years ago. I still use them today. Some people think they are junk but I love them. I also own Sorby, Benjamin's Best (PSI), EWT Carbide, Woodriver (woodcraft) and Craftsman (Sears). They all serve a purpose. For what I own, prices per tool ranges from about $15 to $120 new. I've also made some mini tools from Allen wrenches....

Kenny Durrant

There is already a lot of good advice mentioned. I would like to add make sure your comparing apples to apples. The same kit by name may have a different quality of plating. Are you going to sell them or give them away? I think the work is the same even if you put on a cheap or expensive kit. If you want to sell the pen you want the metal parts to equal the quality of your work. If your going to give them away you can make more pens with the cheaper kits and have more to give out. With a little shopping around you will find the ones that you like best and fit your needs.

Mischief1273

Understood. I'm sure over time and experience I'll come to know exactly what my preferences are.

Sounds like it'll be some trial and error until then.

stonepecker

Every member/vender of the IAP is special in their own way.
My 'go to' vendor is Exotic Blanks. Ed is a very deep well of information. Helpful to the Nth degree.

I own to many lathes. I have never had any complaint about the Jet lathe I own. Got it at Woodcraft when it was on sale. I started out with one from Harbor Freight. I still use both to date. My Rikon is another one I would for a first lathe. Take a peek at both of them and get the features you want. VS and reverse are two things I am happy to have on my lathes.

Good luck and Welcome to the IAP

DLGunn

The answer to the best place to buy varies too much for me to answer. It depends on what exactly you are looking for. Some places have slightly better deals for slimlines, other better on cigar kits, some have nicer blanks and yet others have better shipping rates. It truly depends on what specifically you are looking for with each order. For me, there is no One-stop-shop for all of my pen supplies.

But do check our the vendor sections here, lots of good folks to deal with.

On the lathe question, I can be a better help. I owned the Jet 1014, non variable speed version. I now own a Rikon 12" variable speed version. I much prefer the Rikon to the Jet. I will admit, my Jet had bearing issues in the headstock (twice). But even past that, I prefer the Rikon. Things just seem to work a little better with the Rikon, at least for me.

BUT, why do you think you need a better lathe? A small sub $500 lathe may not be the upgrade you want, at least long term. Figure out for sure what you want and try to plan for future turnings too. It I had it to do over I would take the money I spent on both small lathes, added some to it and gotten a larger, at least 14-16" lathe.

magpens

Don't go with a very small, cheap lathe. . I have made 1000 pens (wood, non-wood, and metal) using a metal-working lathe that cost me around $500.

As for blanks ... yes, there will be some trial and error. . My favorite non-wood blanks are the Alumilite blanks, especially the blanks made by Jeff Powell and Eugene Soto, both of whom are members here. . You can buy these at ExoticBlanks who sell nearly everything you could ever want in the way of materials and kits for making pens.

If you want to ask questions about specific kits or blanks send me a message.

Be sure to read the Cheers and Jeers section, as suggested above.

Last edited:

TonyL

Here's a "test" in a way. Except for very few their pricing s about the same. Call (with a phone) several and see who answers or who gets back to you to right away. It's likely even as one gains more experience that you will need to talk to someone. I buy 75% from the same supplier for just that reason and 25% from the others. I don't want to endorse anyone because the suppliers here are all top notch and very nice people to boot (in my opinion). Also look at who stocks what you want (with actual inventory, not just an image). This is what is important to me. We are not the same.

Herb G

IMHO, you can't go wrong buying from any of the vendors on this site.
They are (for the most part) pen turners themselves.

They all have great knowledge of this hobby (obsession?) and are willing to help you out for the price of a PM. (private message.)
Also, if you spend a couple of hours a week on here just reading older posts, you will definitely pick up tips & tricks to help you along.

As for a lathe, I don't even know of one that has variable speeds AND reversing both. I am probably wrong, but I don't know of any.

wouldentu2?

A VS lathe is nice if you use CA since you ca turn at a higher speed and then turn it down to apply CA without the CA slinging off at you.

Kelley Crafts

Always look for a deal. I picked up a General Tools lathe at Woodcraft a couple of months ago for 50% off. Originally $700. It is reversible and VS. It's the Maxi-lathe VF. Not a bad little beast either. Not one of the brands you see a lot on here but I think because it's painted green like HF lathes. It isn't pretty but has a digital speed readout and work great.

Just read....lot's of info out there and I am very new to this. Especially the pen thing.

Top Bottom