Bearings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I need to get a new bearing for my lathe...I am absolutely lost on what to get, however, as all bearings look the same to me.

Does anyone know what bearings are good, and which are not? I've found VXB and Nashi - are either of those better than the other?

I need 6205ZZ ball bearings - which are shielded on both sides (whatever that means)...but I only want to do this the once, so please help me figure out what the better brand of bearings is for my lathe.

Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Andrew is that for the Jet 10-14? The bearings on one of our Jets are going out as well and I need to get them on order as well. I know there is a thread on here that is about three years old that talks about where to get, and what to get.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I ordered bearings for my Turncrafter from PSI, only because that's where I got my lathe from. There is Bearings Inc. in Indianapolis. They might have what you need, if you want to do a search and, call them.

wood-of-1kind

If you are "shopping" by name then it's widely known that the SKF brand is the best in quality but you pay a premium. Small price to pay since you want long wear on this type of item (bearing).

NSK, Nachi, NTN are also "good" name brands. Try to stay away from the lesser name brands that are usually of Eastern Asian (offshore) origin.

Last edited:

lorbay

If you are "shopping" by name then it's widely known that the SKF brand is the best in quality but you pay a premium. Small price to pay since you want long wear on this type of item (bearing).

NSK, Nachi, NTN are also "good" name brands. Try to stay away from the lesser name brands that are usually of Eastern Asian (offshore) origin.
+1 on what Peter said.

Lin.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Andrew,
Make sure to buy a well known brand. I bought some that were too good to be true and they were. The bearing seal fell off as I was running. There are a lot of cheap bearings that look like a good deal but are useless after a short period of time. I burned through 10 on a bandsaw guide and learned my lesson. Timkin makes good ones. Check McMaster Carr online catalog to get an idea.

ribanett

I have purchased many bearings, both ball and roller from VXB without a hitch. They have a great customer support staff if you do not know exactly what you need.

www.vxb.com

They accept PayPal

Last edited:

Rounder

A bearing that is "shielded" on both sides means that there is a plate on each side of the bearing to keep the grease inside of the bearing. An open bearing, "no shields", usually has a grease cert located near it so that it can be greased.

David M

if there are any truck parts stores around , that is the same as a pilot bearing on a truck . ( big truck not a pickup ). ( fleet pride / truckpro or a dealership sholud have then .

Curly

Andrew look in the phone book or do a search for you local bearing supplier. Take the bearings to them to match and cross match the numbers on them. They will have or be able to get them for you from several makers as well as higher grades if you want to spend the extra. They will also likely be cheaper than any bearings the lathe brand supplies. I believe those are a standard bearing everybody stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner because I can't reach my desktop!

I need to get a new bearing for my lathe...I am absolutely lost on what to get, however, as all bearings look the same to me.

Does anyone know what bearings are good, and which are not? I've found VXB and Nashi - are either of those better than the other?

I need 6205ZZ ball bearings - which are shielded on both sides (whatever that means)...but I only want to do this the once, so please help me figure out what the better brand of bearings is for my lathe.

Andrew

Andrew,
Personally, I think I would call Jet and order the bearings from them... may be a little more pricey, but in the end you'll get the right bearings for the lathe... and if your lathe is still under warranty, may not cost anything... I don't think I paid for the first set I got.... my little lathe is out of warranty now, but the big lathe still has 2 or 3 years to go.

Haynie

Take the bearing to Autozone or other Auto Parts place. Give it to them and see if they have one in stock. This is the easiest thing to do.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
We don't have an autozone, or decent auto parts place without driving hours on a single lane highway, but thanks for the suggestion. No bearings suppliers either.

Mack has PM'd me that he's near a place that sells the SKF bearings, and they're only about 10 bucks each. I just have to check my lathe schematics now and see how many I need.

The bearings haven't compeletly gone, but they're getting rough and noisy, and the reeves drive is now sticky, so when I'm taking the pulley off to fix that, I might as well fix the bearings at the same time, I figure.

Andrew

rherrell

Timken bearings are excellent and readily available at most auto parts stores. That's what I put on my metal lathe and am VERY happy with the product.

aplpickr

Be careful with installation!

Use a deep-well socket to push new bearings onto the shaft or into housings. Match the diameter of the inner and outer races. Push on the race that has the friction fit. DO NOT PUSH AGAINST A RACE, THRU THE BALLS, TO MAKE THE OTHER RACE MOVE. One hammer blow that stresses the balls can Kill/or wound a new bearing. You will flat the balls that are manufactured to ~ 0.0001" tolerance in quality bearings. Alternate to socket is a 6" pipe nipple of proper diameter. Do not push on the shields on either side while installing.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

How do you know when your lathe needs new bearings?
The obvious is they're noisy. They'll also get warn out over time and get sloppy. Hold the shaft firmly (get your minds out of the gutter) and attempt to wiggle it, you shouldn't be able to feel any play in the bearings. If you can odds are your bearings are worn.

AK

aplpickr

Use a LONG (15" to 18") screw driver as a stethoscope. Be careful. Place the tip of driver on the top end of lathe housing. put the handle end on your ear, push against your ear flap. Turn lathe on. You should hear a clean, whirling noise. Any bumps, clinks, pops, scrapes, grinding, whistles, schreehes, etc. means a failing bearing. Switch to the other end of the housing. Change bearings in pairs, even if only one tests bad. ChecK motor bearings the same way. Use an assistant to activate the switch if needed for safety. You will be amazed at what you can hear over the general "gray" noise of running.

nativewooder

Since you seem to truly live in the deep woods, I would order from VXB. They can ship you the cheapies or the premium bearings. If you order them from Jet, you will get the cheap bearings at the premium price.:wink:

Top Bottom