Bear! - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 161

Default Bear!

I have been having issues with wildlife lately. Last week, I was besieged by a Cardinal (Heís still making runs at our windows). Today, a very large and I do mean large black bear ran across the road in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes and only missed it by a foot or so. Had to go home and change my shorts.
Cwalker935 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 441

I have good news Cody. Apparently you are very low on the food chain for your local bears:

Their diets typically consist of acorns, berries, carrion, corn, fish, frogs, fruits, grasses, grubs, honey, insects, larvae, leaves, nuts, peanuts, reptiles, roots, seeds, small mammals, soybeans, cody and wheat.

So you are below small mammals and just above wheat, maybe a good position.

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
I have good news Cody. Apparently you are very low on the food chain for your local bears:

Their diets typically consist of acorns, berries, carrion, corn, fish, frogs, fruits, grasses, grubs, honey, insects, larvae, leaves, nuts, peanuts, reptiles, roots, seeds, small mammals, soybeans, cody and wheat.

I was more concerned about damaging my truck than being eaten. He would had to have gotten me through the truck. But itís good to know that I am lower on the menu than a lot of other stuff.
Cwalker935 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalker935 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post

I was more concerned about damaging my truck than being eaten. He would had to have gotten me through the truck. But itís good to know that I am lower on the menu than a lot of other stuff.
You're very lucky that you didn't hit this bear. Where I live bear are a common site and I can promise you that if you did happen to nail one with your truck the repair costs are not cheap. My son in law took out a deer a couple of hunting seasons ago and it cost him well of $5,000.00 for repair work. We both now have Ranch Hand cattle guards on the front of our trucks. Interesting thing is that I know bear get hit by cars and trucks around here but you never see the carcass laying on the side of the road. I think they get hit, but not fatally, and then run off.
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 3

We also had a black bear run across the road in front of us some years ago. One doesnít realize their size, weight, and mass till they are right in front of you. I am sure they would do a lot of damage to a vehicle....and no, we didnít hit it.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

My son's elementary teacher was part of a gospel group. One Sunday evening they were coming back from NC and hit a bear somewhere n the mountains. I drove by their bus and the front bumper was a shallow V. Knew a guy who hit an elk out west. The elk started at the front on the driver's side and bounced off the side two more times. I told my kids never swerve to avoid a dog, cat, possum, etc. I wonder how many one car accidents and deaths are caused by this. My father always said to try, if possible, from hitting a large animal like cow, deer, or horse. Depending on your vehicle, they can roll up the hood and come through the windshield. Not a good way to see wildlife up close.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

We have had black bear sightings all the way down into Central Alabama now. A mother and cub was spotted about two miles from the house. They were basically extinct down here when I was growing up in North Alabama. Those conservation efforts are really paying off.
MSpringer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 25

A friend of mine was the chief of police in Williams Arizona. One night one of his patrolmen found a deer that had just been hit by a car. When that happened, if it was a fresh kill, the meat was processed by a local locker company and donated to a food bank. The guy was fairly new, so instead of calling for a pickup for the deer he picked it up (it wasn't very big) and put it in the back of his patrol car, which didn't have a dividing screen.

Unfortunately for him, the deer was just knocked out. When it woke up, it wanted out of that car in the worst way. The driver's window was down and it tried to jump out but became lodged, caught between the driver and the door, held by the seatbelt. I guess the police call was pretty interesting. It beat him up pretty bad before it finally freed itself and ran off.

Last edited by sbwertz; 06-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
A friend of mine was the chief of police in Williams Arizona. One night one of his patrolmen found a deer that had just been hit by a car. When that happened, if it was a fresh kill, the meat was processed by a local locker company and donated to a food bank. The guy was fairly new, so instead of calling for a pickup for the deer he picked it up (it wasn't very big) and put it in the back of his patrol car, which didn't have a dividing screen.

Unfortunately for him, the deer was just knocked out. When it woke up, it wanted out of that car in the worst way. The driver's window was down and it tried to jump out but became lodged, caught between the driver and the door, held by the seatbelt. I guess the police call was pretty interesting. It beat him up pretty bad before it finally freed itself and ran off.
Several years back I remember seeing an article of something very similar to what your story was. Unfortunately the person driving the car was killed when the Buck came to and in its effort to get out of the car gored the driver of the car. I've also heard of large animals, like Moose, coming through the front windshield of cars that hit them. The Moose on my property are very large and stand pretty tall. I wouldn't want to hit one even in my pickup truck.
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpringer View Post
We have had black bear sightings all the way down into Central Alabama now. A mother and cub was spotted about two miles from the house. They were basically extinct down here when I was growing up in North Alabama. Those conservation efforts are really paying off.
Speaking of. Black bear spotted outside waffle house. Must have wanted some late night goodies.

https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/20...affle_hou.html]
MSpringer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads