beall buffer vs psi lathe buffer - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Caswell plating has a good downloadable publication on buffing that’s worth a read. Gives recommended surface feet per minute and how to calculate, etc. Also recommendations on compounds, buffs, for different applications.

Here is the Caswell page with a brief primer on buffing. The link to the downloadable file is at the very end of the article.

https://www.caswellplating.com/buffman.htm

Bill

Last edited by bmachin; 01-24-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Additional info
bmachin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
I remembered that I have a generic brand 6 inch grinder, 3.5 amp, 3500 rpm. Didn't pull it off the shelf to check the shaft diameter. Is that too fast for a buffing system? TIA.
The Beall website recommends a motor with 1725 rpm.They state that 3,000 (3450) rpm is too fast for 8 buffing wheels but would work for 4 wheels
Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Default beall buffer vs psi lathe buffer

Salvaged an old washing machine motor and a cheap arbor and made my buffing station over 30 years ago to sharpen carving tools. It is still going strong.

Add a little white diamond and it makes em' shine.

It goes at 1750 which has been a good multi-purpose speed.

I have occasionally thought about something that looked better but always asked myself , why?
Attached Thumbnails
buffing-wheel.jpg  

Last edited by Talltim; 01-24-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Talltim is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I bought PSI's version a couple of years ago. It has worked fine. It lives on my 10x18 HF backup lathe. Honestly, there's not much to it, and had I known, probably would have attempted to make my own. They basically took allthread and turned the ends down to a more-or-less MT2 taper. That would be the only tricky part if one doesn't have access to a metal lathe.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
I bought PSI's version a couple of years ago. It has worked fine. It lives on my 10x18 HF backup lathe. Honestly, there's not much to it, and had I known, probably would have attempted to make my own. They basically took allthread and turned the ends down to a more-or-less MT2 taper. That would be the only tricky part if one doesn't have access to a metal lathe.
A 2mt arbor with a threaded end would be all you need. From there add a connector threaded to the 2MT that is compatible to the all thread rod of your choice. Add nuts, washers, buffing wheels and I would suggest a piece of Delrin threaded to fit the end of the all thread to save wear and tear on your live center.
Attached Thumbnails
2mt-threaded-arbor_640x480.jpg  
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Quote:
A 2mt arbor with a threaded end would be all you need. From there add a connector threaded to the 2MT that is compatible to the all thread rod of your choice. Add nuts, washers, buffing wheels and I would suggest a piece of Delrin threaded to fit the end of the all thread to save wear and tear on your live center.
Or you could drill and tap a hole in a scrap of wood to match the threading of your spindle, and then drill a through hole to match the all thread. Add a couple of nuts and you have an arbor that can be used to hold your buffing wheels.

There are many ways to skin this cat.
Instagram: @louie_powell_photo
monophoto is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Quote:
Or you could drill and tap a hole in a scrap of wood to match the threading of your spindle, and then drill a through hole to match the all thread. Add a couple of nuts and you have an arbor that can be used to hold your buffing wheels.

Or you could turn a short wooden spindle with the appropriate MT taper on one end, and then drill a hole to receive the all-thread on the other end. You could thread the tap the hole to receive the all-thread, embed a suitable nut, or just glue it in.

There are many ways to skin this cat.
Instagram: @louie_powell_photo
monophoto is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I drilled and tapped scrap wood to screw onto my headstock. Drilled the other end to accept a 3/8 T-nut. Bought the Beall buffs from CSUSA that already have the 3/8 bolt on the for $17.50 each. They go onto my headstock ina few seconds.

BTW, if you are mounting multiple wheels at a time you are contaminating them with compound from the other wheels. I mount mine one at a time and keep the buffs in separate plastic bags to prevent contamination.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #29 (permalink)

well I decided to go with a 2 wheel dedicated buffer. either craftex from busy bee or a rikon from elite tools. Also canton wheels,plastic buffing compound from caswell Canada.
All learned all of this info on this site and looking forward to trying it. And been looking hard at the beall system as well, but this way I have a buffing station and no take down and set up on a lathe.
lathe monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads