beall buffer vs psi lathe buffer - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2019, 07:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellicoTurning View Post
One more thought, if you have a large box store, Lowe's or Home Depot or similar, you might be able to pick up generic buffing wheels, an allthread rod about a foot long, nuts and washers to fit either side of the buffer wheels and just make your own... I found 3 6" wheels at the local Lowers here that I use almost as much as the Don Pencil system... I keep the home made on on my little lathe for quick buffs of small items, bottle stoppers, pens (although it's been years since I made a pen), pepper mills, etc.... I have one of PSI's small chucks with 4 bars on it that I hold the allthread rod in place on the little lathe.

I took a similar approach - bought a set of three 8" wheels at Harbor Freight - stitched (for tripoli), muslin (for white diamond), and flannel (for wax), and three sets of nuts and matching bolts from Ace Hardware. Turned mounts from scraps of wood that are drilled and tapped to screw onto my lathe spindle.

Buffing is not rocket science.
Instagram: @louie_powell_photo
monophoto is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by monophoto View Post
Quote:
One more thought, if you have a large box store, Lowe's or Home Depot or similar, you might be able to pick up generic buffing wheels, an allthread rod about a foot long, nuts and washers to fit either side of the buffer wheels and just make your own... I found 3 6" wheels at the local Lowers here that I use almost as much as the Don Pencil system... I keep the home made on on my little lathe for quick buffs of small items, bottle stoppers, pens (although it's been years since I made a pen), pepper mills, etc.... I have one of PSI's small chucks with 4 bars on it that I hold the allthread rod in place on the little lathe.

I took a similar approach - bought a set of three 8" wheels at Harbor Freight - stitched (for tripoli), muslin (for white diamond), and flannel (for wax), and three sets of nuts and matching bolts from Ace Hardware. Turned mounts from scraps of wood that are drilled and tapped to screw onto my lathe spindle.

Mine runs off an old washing machine motor. Husband built it for me.

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Default beall buffer vs psi lathe buffer

You can get a buffer from Harbor Freight for about $40 when on sale. Currently $53. Iíve used mine for about 8 years now. Iím not sure if you have those in Canada though.

https://m.harborfreight.com/6-in-buffer-61557.html

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited by More4dan; 01-24-2019 at 07:28 AM.
More4dan is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 1

No Harbor Freight in Canada and their shipping costs to us are ridiculously high. Closest we have is Princess Auto and a similar buffer to the one you show is $130 with an 8" one being $165. They don't have the coupons you get with HF either.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8502494e
Old 01-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I have published an article in the library "4 Stage Buffing System" which might be helpful.
I also have my own How to document with the part/items numbers of all of the parts. If any one wants it. I can add it as an attachment. Here's a photo (no surprises; I am sure all know what one looks like :-) )

I also bought a speed control foot pedal/switch that allows me to control the speed. I bought it by accident thinking it was an on/off switch. It is compatible with my Rikon. I also called Rikon and they said it was fine and will not damage the motor or void the warranty. https://linemaster.com/product-finder/
Attached Thumbnails
buffing-station.jpg  

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

This has been an interesting thread. The ideas for DIY have given me an idea that I might see about making a buffing system. The major penmaker in our AAW chapter says to buff the blank for a better finish.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by monophoto View Post
Quote:

Mine runs off an old washing machine motor. Husband built it for me.

That is funny, mine came from a sump pump motor.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #18 (permalink)

I remembered that I have a generic brand 6 inch grinder, 3.5 amp, 3500 rpm. Didn't pull it off the shelf to check the shaft diameter. Is that too fast for a buffing system? TIA.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
Is that too fast for a buffing system?
Put 6" buffs on it and you'll be fine.
Sylvanite is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 0

If you don't mind using your lathe, make a mandrel like this. Drill and tap a blank to fit the spindle, then drill and tap the end to fit an appropriate sized bolt. I have several of these, one for each compound, the mandrel, the compound and wheel all store in their individual plastic zip bags.

The third version is so I do not have to grab a wrench for changing the wheel.

I also made another version that screws on to a 4 1/2" Harbor Freight grinder, It was hooked up to a router speed controller so I have a variable speed buffing wheels/ Sorry no pictures, it was given to my son.
Attached Thumbnails
buffing-wheel-a2.jpg   buffing-wheel-a1.jpg   buffing-wheel.jpg  
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads