beall buffer vs psi lathe buffer - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default beall buffer vs psi lathe buffer

dump question, but is there a difference between the Beall 3 wheel buffer and PSI 3 wheel? did PSI just put there name on a Beall? The reason I'm asking is I want to get a buffing system, and of course the PSI is on back order, which is $73.00 and the beall is $140.00 which is available (I'm in Ontario Cdn)
Wondering if its worth the (what appears to be ) a long wait for the PSI, or just get the Beall from Lee Valley in a few days.
tks
lathe monkey
lathe monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Don't forget the exchange (PSI becomes $100Can) shipping, possible Canada Customs and taxes and you haven't got much of a saving. The other thing is that virtually none of us have both to be able to give you an honest comparison. Just whether we are happy with the one we bought. We have the Beall that Lee Valley sell.

You could look into Caswell Canada and see what their costs would be but I don't think they have a shaft arrangement to fit our wood lathes. There is a buffing manual link on the page.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Don't forget the exchange (PSI becomes $100Can) shipping, possible Canada Customs and taxes and you haven't got much of a saving. The other thing is that virtually none of us have both to be able to give you an honest comparison. Just whether we are happy with the one we bought. We have the Beall that Lee Valley sell.

You could look into Caswell Canada and see what their costs would be but I don't think they have a shaft arrangement to fit our wood lathes. There is a buffing manual link on the page.
HI, the prices are cdn William wood wright $72.95cdn, and there on back order, Lee valley has them but geezz $140.00,

I don't mind paying more if its better buffer.
i'll check out Caswell

Thank you
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ah, I forgot to look on Bill's site. PSI is known for copying other peoples products, making them overseas and selling them cheaper. Knockoffs. When you look at the number of pens you can buff with either the cost becomes almost nothing and half almost nothing. We've made well over 500 pens with the Beall from LV and have only used a third of each stick of compound if that.
Curly is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Ah, I forgot to look on Bill's site. PSI is known for copying other peoples products, making them overseas and selling them cheaper. Knockoffs. When you look at the number of pens you can buff with either the cost becomes almost nothing and half almost nothing. We've made well over 500 pens with the Beall from LV and have only used a third of each stick of compound if that.
thats what I figured, looks like its a Beall from LV.
thank you again
Old 01-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

You're welcome.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

I second Pete's recommendation re the Beall buffer system. I purchased mine (three wheel Beall buffer system) from LV about six years ago and the extra money was worth it. Since you live in Ottawa there would be no shipping! Just stop in at the Ottawa LV.

Wade

Last edited by zig613; 01-23-2019 at 03:44 PM.
zig613 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I built my own system using buffing wheels from Caswell Plating, and the compounds from Beall. I later added more buffing compounds from Caswell after Tex at Durango wrote his article about buffing.

If you have a collet chuck, you can buy 5/8" bolts about 6" long, cut off the bolt head, and with 2 nuts and 2 washers you have a mandrel for a buffing wheel.

Or you can drill and tap a blank and make wooden mandrels that screw on to the headstock of your lathe. On the end of the wood mandrel drill and tap a hole for a 2 1/2" long 5/8" bolt to hold the buffing wheel.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig613 View Post
I second Pete's recommendation re the Beall buffer system. I purchased mine (three wheel Beall buffer system) from LV about six years ago and the extra money was worth it. Since you live in Ottawa there would be no shipping! Just stop in at the Ottawa LV.

Wade
well, I'm only 3 hours to the front door of LV, its a very dangerous place for a credit card, I only moved here a year ago and went once to LV, my wife also hit me over the head with a club to get me out of there lol

for my saftey I'll pay shipping, besides the traffic is crazy, and the storms we been having including today I'll stay home in the shop.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

If he is still in business, you might want to look at Don Pencil's buffing system... it comes with three wheels, a 1 x 8 tpi spindle/shaft that the wheels screw into and the necessary buffing compounds... mine also has buffing balls, but don't remember if they were part of the system or I got them separately... can't speak to the cost though, mine was a miss-shipment when I order his hollowing system... I got the buffing system instead and when I contacted him, he laughed and said to just keep the buffing system and he would send me my hollowing system...I use the buffing system much more than the hollowing system now anyway.

One more thought, if you have a large box store, Lowe's or Home Depot or similar, you might be able to pick up generic buffing wheels, an allthread rod about a foot long, nuts and washers to fit either side of the buffer wheels and just make your own... I found 3 6" wheels at the local Lowers here that I use almost as much as the Don Pencil system... I keep the home made on on my little lathe for quick buffs of small items, bottle stoppers, pens (although it's been years since I made a pen), pepper mills, etc.... I have one of PSI's small chucks with 4 bars on it that I hold the allthread rod in place on the little lathe.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!

Last edited by TellicoTurning; 01-23-2019 at 07:00 PM.
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads