Bamboo ideas....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Other than making a huge wind-chime or maybe gluing this together for a slimline, does anyone have any ideas on what one could do with some bamboo.....

Attachments

• bamboo3.jpg
    bamboo3.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 142
  • bambootwo.jpg
    bambootwo.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 143
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob in SF

For me it's about bamboo endgrain hand engraving and monoprinting onto paper and other surfaces - would work on a pen barrel. You could cut and dry the bamboo ends, then glue them up to make the engraving surface.

Thomas Bewick (England, 1753-1828) was the master endgrain engraver who inspired me - great bio written by Jenny Uglow in 2006:
Nature's Engraver: A Life of Thomas Bewick.

I hand engraved this crane monoblock (flipping brain horizontally to reverse the image) on an inexpensive bamboo endgrain 6x6" chopping block after brushing on some India ink (using engraver Steve Lindsay's point geometry); then burnished a print onto paper and hand colored it with raw pigment and paint - block holding up well after many prints. It sounds complicated, but it's fun and can be as abstract as you like.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Bamboo is great stuff.

Your post inspires me to do some mini endgrain work in the direction of pen-making - thanks!

Best regards, Bob

Attachments

• BambooEngravingProofReadyMarkison2012signed1000px.jpg
    BambooEngravingProofReadyMarkison2012signed1000px.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 163
  • GreyCrownedCraneWoodEngravingHandcoloredPrintMarkison2012signed.jpg
    GreyCrownedCraneWoodEngravingHandcoloredPrintMarkison2012signed.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 167
Top Bottom