Backyard visitor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

Eagle.jpg

Actually landed in the neighbor's backyard. I took the shot from about 100' with a 200 mm lens. It was exceptional at shifting around as I tried to get a better angle. We've had hawks and other lesser birds of prey, but never one of these.

I was a little surprised to see it, because we're too far from the river valley to be a natural rest stop. It didn't appear ill or injured, but then I'm no ornithologist.

We also had a few suddenly nervous squirrels frantically knocking on the backdoor. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

You were lucky to be there to get the picture. I am really glad that the eagle was chosen to be symbolic of the USA instead of Benjamin Franklin's choice of the turkey!!
Thanks for showing.

The San Antonio zoo announced today that they just added an Eagle for display. Looking forward to seeing it.

Gordon

Skie_M

Used to see them quite a bit when I lived in Alaska .... Now I only get to see red-tailed hawks and other smaller birds of prey... songbirds and ornamentals.

Thought about buying some peacocks, though ... someone round here is selling the eggs on craigs list lol!

Woodchipper

Great shot! Thanks for sharing. I have seen bald eagles here in east TN while bass fishing locally and trout fishing in the mountains. We have a red-tailed hawk that hangs out in our back yard. Saw him grab something last fall but couldn't fly off with it. Investigated a few days later and found the skull of a baby possum.
Dollywood has an eagle sanctuary in the park. Interesting to see them up close.

JohnU

I never get tired of seeing these Beautiful birds. I have memories in my late teens in Northern WI ice fishing and skipping bluegill across the ice and watching the eagle fly down and grab them. They use to migrate to my neck of the woods for winter along the Illinois River in Illinois and in the Starved Rock area where many locals would come to watch them. Then about three to five years ago they began staying. Now we see them year round. Its an awesome site to be crossing the river bridge with the top off the jeep and have one fly over head about fifty feet above. Nice Picture!

Woodchipper

JohnU, just don't look up. Might get an eyefull of something you don't want. :tongue:
Getting serious, when my parents lived in New Port Richey, FL, there were nests along the main highway to Tarpon Springs. They built platforms on the tops of the utility poles to provide a safe nesting place. I should have some photos in the archives somewhere.

Top Bottom