Babobab wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Perhaps from the Babobab tree???

Seriously though, I have never heard of it. Had to google it. Looks like an interesting tree.

wb7whi

It is from Africa and/or Madagascar. Got a customer looking for pens made from it but as I understand it is very rare material

Wayne

VisExp

Wow, this brought back some memories! It is spelt Baobab. As kids in Zimbabwe we used to eat the fruit of the baobab tree. Just getting the edible parts out of the hard shell and the tough fibres within was a mission. I still remember the bitter sweet taste.

The tree is enormous. The circumference of many was at least 100 feet. The locals belive that after creation, each animal was given a tree to plant. The hyena was given the baobab and planted it upside down. During the dry season, when the tree has no leaves, it looks just like it is upside down with roots up in the air.

Sorry, I can't tell you where you can get some, but thanks for the trip down memory lane.

altaciii

Wow, this brought back some memories! It is spelt Baobab. As kids in Zimbabwe we used to eat the fruit of the baobab tree. Just getting the edible parts out of the hard shell and the tough fibres within was a mission. I still remember the bitter sweet taste.

The tree is enormous. The circumference of many was at least 100 feet. The locals belive that after creation, each animal was given a tree to plant. The hyena was given the baobab and planted it upside down. During the dry season, when the tree has no leaves, it looks just like it is upside down with roots up in the air.

Sorry, I can't tell you where you can get some, but thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Wow! Thats a fat tree. I just googled it and saw some pics. We never get anything like that in S Texas. Scrub brush and mesquite litter the countryside. How many pens can you get from a boabob tree?

S

spiritwoodturner

We took the kids to Disney World last Sep., and at Animal Kingdom they have a few that they transplanted from Africa. They said that one of them was 2,000 years old. I questioned that, but Wikipedia says they are reputed to live SEVERAL thousands of years! Pretty amazing, and one of the most unique looking trees on Earth. The big one at DW was one freakin' huge tree!!!

Dale

Skye

kabob.jpg
is it the wood that holds a kabob together?

OldWrangler

About 8 years ago I was involved in supplying a large quantity of African plants for the 43 acre Lowland Gorilla Exhibit at the Bronx Zoo. Everything down to the grasses had to be authentic to the Congo region of Africa. They even brought 4 monster sized Baobab trees from there. Of course they had to be handled with cranes but were planted. When we last heard from those folks, all was thriving.

This is a kinda deserty tree and stores moisture in it's spongy trunk. I susspect it would not be much for pens. Probably pithy, too soft and no color or figure to it.

Dario

This is a kinda deserty tree and stores moisture in it's spongy trunk. I susspect it would not be much for pens. Probably pithy, too soft and no color or figure to it.

Probably the same reason why it is not used much for timber even though they produce a good amount of wood per tree.

I won't be too quick about it not being much for pens though...remember Curtis' cactus pen blanks? :wink::biggrin:

Pen Maker

Curtis made a cactus pen, c'mon... Yer pullin my laig !!! imagine tryin to write with a cactus. You guy's are a hoot.

Pen Maker

just kidding... besides being a SMART a$$, I do read

(trouble is I don't comprehend very well)

KBs Pensnmore

Anyone know of a source for Babobab wood?

Wayne

dear Wayne
I m using Baobab Fiber .
see my picture
regards
Philippe

Philippe,
Since Wayne hasn't been on line for 3 years, I'll ask. Can Baobab Fiber be legally exported and imported into the US?

Or Australia? I know we've got them here, but it's almost impossible to get hold of some.
Thanks Phillipe,
Kryn

COUTURE

In fact one uses the bark of baobab It was used to make rope for the sailing canoes of the fishermen. It is now used to make floral bouquet

I did not know much if the fiber is exportable. If possible, so it is exportable in USA
I have to inform myself

COUTURE

picture

In fact one uses the bark of baobab It was used to make rope for the sailing canoes of the fishermen. It is now used to make floral bouquet

I did not know much if the fiber is exportable. If possible, so it is exportable in USA
I have to inform myself

here is some picture

The bark is soft, greyish or reddish. The wood is fibrous and contains a lot of water. Only in Madagascar are baobab forests
Of the 8-baobab species inventoried in the world, 7 are endemic to Madagascar. The baobab, majestic in their 100 feet circumference, 130 feet high and 6 centuries of existence for some, is one of the most enormous species of the plant kingdom, despite some dwarf species that can only measure a few feet. A recent study based on satellite imagery has confirmed that there are more than 3 million of them throughout Madagascar, scattered over the southwestern part of the island. Etymologically, its name derives from the Arabic word "bu hibab" which means fruit with many seeds.
Almost all parts of the baobab are used, which is worth the protection and veneration of the local populations. The leaves, seedlings and roots are consumed as vegetables, the fruit is used to prepare beverages, and seeds an edible oil. The leaves are also used as a medicinal product against colic, bark against fever It was alos used to make rope for the sailing canoes of the fishermen. It is now used to make floral bouquet

Attachments

• photo 1 arbre Baobab.JPG
    photo 1 arbre Baobab.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 252
  • photo 2 arbre Baobab.JPG
    photo 2 arbre Baobab.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 213
  • photo arbre Baobab.jpg
    photo arbre Baobab.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Top Bottom