Aw S**T - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Aw S**T

Like most people, my wife and I carry a credit cards, both for the convenience of not having to deal with cash, and also because of the 'cash back' feature that provides a small additional discount every time we use the card.

I am very diligent about checking my credit card account every day to make sure that I recognize every transaction (and checking with my wife if I see something that I don't immediately recognize - she deals with some really strange-sounding vendors). I also take advantage of the automatic alerts offered by the credit card company to tell me whenever there is a charge in excess of a specified dollar threshold, if there is a web or telephone charge, or if there is a charge from a foreign vendor.

Last night, I received an alert that a charge had been recorded against my card from a vendor that I didn't immediately recognize. So I called the bank immediately to ask for more information - all that they could tell me was that it appeared to have been from a restaurant that uses PayPal to process charges. Since I didn't recognize the name of the restaurant (and we haven't been to a restaurant in several days), and the amount was significant, I advised the bank that the charge appeared to be fraudulent or erroneous.

OK - that worked well!

But then the bank advised that their response would be to cancel my credit card and issue a new card with a different number - which I won't receive for several days. So it's now a weekend and my credit card has been cancelled. Aarghhh!

And more frustration - there are a number of vendors who have my credit card number and who I now will have to notify of the change. Fortunately, when this happened to me several years ago I made a list of the vendors that I have to contact. The good news is that most of those notifications can be done on-line. But the bad news is that I am facing the challenge of trying to hack my way through each of those web sites to find where they have hidden the credit card information. And I will have to remember the passwords that I used in setting up those accounts - another source of frustration.

Sometimes the modern conveniences are anything but convenient!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Been there done that! Sorry for the hassle!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry for you, but it could have been worse. Hang in there.
bobjackson is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that. The same thing happened to me at 4am this morning, only in my case it was a giant charge to a foreign airline... I wonder whose database was hacked this time. ??
gtriever is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Chipotle announced back in April that their payment system had been hacked and customer credit card info may have been stolen.

Chipotle's announcement says the malware looked for "track data," "which sometimes has cardholder name in addition to card number, expiration date, and internal verification code." The chain has provided a list of locations impacted by the malware, which includes the suspected dates where customer information may have been vulnerable.

If you used your card at a Chipotle restaurant between March 24, 2017 and April 18, 2017, your information was stolen.

To check if if your store was compromised check here:

https://www.chipotle.com/security#security
Fireengines is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Does your computer have a "vault" that holds passwords automatically? My OS does and there are also several other apps that do this. To retrieve a PW when I set up the account in this "vault", I have to enter a separate PW which I have memorized and is only to my computer, and is not stored. With this PW, I can open PW's that are recorded automatically when I am online in secured sites.

This has been a life saver for me. LOML does not understand this and she is constantly asking me to find a PW of hers. She thinks I am a genius when I find it.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 07-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehljp View Post
DMy OS does and there are also several other apps that do this. To retrieve a PW when I set up the account in this "vault", I have to enter a separate PW which I have memorized and is only to my computer, and is not stored.

Good idea, but it doesn't require a 'vault' or special software.

Microsoft Word has the ability to encrypt and password protect individual documents. I have a list of passwords that I keep as a password-protected document, using a password that is different from any other password in my collection.

Of course, the problem is those systems that routinely require you to update your password - you respond with a new password in order to get into the system for whatever is your immediate objective, and then forget to update the master listing of passwords.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

That happens. Waiting for a new card is pretty much the standard. I don't like servers carrying my credit card where I can't see it. Our credit holder called after we got back from vacation in California. The account showed three withdrawals on a ATM in a city were we had not been. I told the CSR that were have never been in that particular city; they took care of it and re-issued new cards. Could have been worse, as stated. Now, we do not use a debit card which is connected to your checking account.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 18

My wife had her Citi Bank card stolen 3 times. One time, some kids got ahold of it & ordered car parts. They weren't too bright.
They ordered $4000 worth of stereo equipment & had it shipped to their house. When they took the box inside, the cops busted down the door & took them into custody.
The cops found over $100K worth of stuff in the house & garage.
They were sentenced to 30 years in prison.

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Been there a couple of times. My big problem is my Debit care and its PIN because it's attached to my Checking account I have the hassle remembering a new Pin and then the Credit Union wants me to change my online banking pin which has to be 8 characters with symbols and Caps. Then one day i forgot my PIN to my account of something happend and I got locked out so another new PIN.

"If You are not living on the edge, then you are taking up to much space" by an Ice Road Trucker
tbroye is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads