Auction thread as promised....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangboy5000

In case some of you missed it I went to an auction last Friday, that was to say the least CRAZY. The man who owned all of this stuff was forced to give it up by his wife and doctor. He is such a perfectionist that the woodworking was causing him stress and contributing to his heart problems.
First up were the lathe tools. These went for almost retail and sometimes more. The Sorby texture tool went for $110, and a set of 8 Craftsman lathe chisels went for $80. Others, myself included, had to hold back the laughter on that one.

We then went through boxes of power tools. This guy had 10 routers: 1 Ryobi, 4 Porter Cables and the rest Craftsman. Senco nail guns in every gauge size, and I do mean every size. Anyone ever seen a 24 gauge nail gun? 4 Porter Cable contour sanders, 3 of which looked unused. Everything at this auction was in pristine condition with boxes, manuals and sometimes unopened.
The next big thing was 1 of 2 Tormek grinders. This one came with every single attachment they make, heck I think he may have even had some prototypes in there. The attachments are in the case under the grinder.

Note the screw caddy on the left, that went for $100, some people. Next up was the VEGA 48" duplicator, it looked basically unused. A guy from AAW bid via phone for it and got it for $400.

We worked our way down the line of craziness, which included a Delta lineboring machine, $150, a PC pocket hole machine, $350 and this little beauty that went for around $500. This set-up was never used and came with a box full of buffs.

As we got to the end of the row bidding started on this group of grinders. So far the Delta 8" with all the OneWay attachments and heavy stand went for $230, and the Tormek for $500. This was the other Tormek which had almost as many attachments, and went for $450. The other grinders pictured went for retail.

There was also a Grizzly 8" grinder on stand, but that went to someone in California who bid $175 on it. Why I have no idea, because it was just the grinder and stand, nothing special.
We then got to this beauty. A legacy mill with PC router attached. It looked like it had been used like one time. It went for $1125, I thought about getting it at that price, but luckily my brain kicked in with the "What in the hell are you going to do with that" thought. Unfortunatly the guy who got it had the same thought too late, but his face showed it when the auctioneer said SOLD.

Air filters were next. 3 of them to be exact, all with remote controls. A big Jet, a small jet and a small Delta. I can't recall what the final bids were, but it was pretty close to retail.

The OneWays were what everyone was there for. The 3HP 2436 with tons of accessories went for $6250, the 2HP went for $4750, the 1018 with duplicator went for $1600 and the other went for almost $1400.

After many box lots of hand tools and other junk we got to the wood. I was supposed to try and get some for some people but it didn't really work out. The auctioneer was tired and ended up selling everything for one price. I left at $500, even though it was a bargain I don't have room to store all of this. The amount of cherry alone was worth whatever the final price was.

Everyone kept asking all night long, where is the Tablesaw? Well I found out today, this was only the first half of the auction. The second one will be held sometime early in January. This one will include tablesaws, jointers, planers etc.. If this auction was any indication of what's coming, then he'll probably have 2 brand new unisaws or something.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Wild indeed! Glad you survived. While I'm sure he didn't like parting with his tools it sounds like he made out like a bandit (depending on the auctioneers commission). Found out my brother-in-law goes to some of these as well - now I know why he rarely buys anything!!!

PenWorks

He will probablly have a heart attack, when they crate the last of his tools away [:D]

He should have axed his doctor and made an appointment with Dr Phil [:)]

Tangboy5000

Before he sells his multi-million dollar home, they have to get all the tools out. This is an ASAP type situation. He's moving to Florida soon. So Czarcastic and others in FL keep an eye out for a big tool auction in your parts in another couple of years.[:D]

Woodbutcher68

I never could understand why folks would buy used stuff for retail or more at auctions. Kinda like buying a PSI penturning DVD on E-Bay when you can get it for free at PSI! I guess there's one born every minute!

micah

We had a nursery around here go out of business early this year. The week before everything was marked down half price to try and clear some out. I went by a couple times, but decided to wait till the day of the auction since nothing was really moving.
The day of the auction came and EVERYTHING was going for MORE than the original marked price. [:0]
Needless to say, I came home empty handed and wondering where in the world these people come from.

Micah

alamocdc

[:(] I really did want one of those 1018's though. Oh well. I may just have to get me a new 1224 next year. Of course, I'll be sleeping in the shop for awhile! [:0]

Tangboy5000

I don't think they're that special either Tom. However, after playing around with the ones at the auction I would like one. Everything just feels so solid and the parts that move, move very fluidly. I think alot of the fascination that surrounds OneWays is that most people have never seen one up close or had the chance to turn on one. They're expensive, they have a waiting list, and it makes people feel like they belong to an exclusive club when they have one. I think the waiting list is a false one, used to create a false sense of demand. I used to work at a retirement community that had tons of open rooms and a waiting list to get in, and people were always signing up knowing they had to wait years before they could get in. You also have to realize that many of OneWay's innovations have now been copied by other companies, and so things like their remote on/off switch don't seem like such a big deal anymore.

alamocdc

Yes, there are a number of good lathes out there and Oneways are expensive. I've had a number of Master Turners of late (Judy Ditmer, for example) tell me that a Oneway is the lathe to get if you can afford one. It has nothing to do with the waiting list, they are just solid, heavy well built machines and I love the feel. But that's just me.

dubdrvrkev

I like them, but will never buy one. Mostly because I can't afford it and couldn't justify one even if I wanted to part with the dough. I also really like the Robust Lathes, they have an option of a swing away tailstock which is really nice for bowl turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom