Attention I gues our email addresses........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Have been hacked. I just got this email which was in my spam box and I thought at least I look at the email address they have sent this one to, and figured out that someone has hacked the email addresses of iap. I intentionally di not use my real email address for this purpose since this is a public forum and thought that it would be hacked. I am hoping that admin. will respond to this.

Attachments

• iap email hacked.JPG
    iap email hacked.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Phillip, I'm not sure I understand, the IAP doesn't use a Yahoo email address, where was the email sent from?? and how do you figure the IAP was hacked??

Woodlvr

Thanks for posting this Phil. I received a couple of these last week but forgot to mention it to Jeff or post it.

Woodlvr

Ken I thought because the IAP is in the address line, but not alone. I am not computer savvy enough to know better.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Phillip,

I've checked mine - I have nothing similar in my spam nor regular folders. Jeff may poke in here, but I fully do not believe that our emails have been hacked. That looks like relatively "normal" spam. I don't know how they get through on yahoo's side to 'poke or prod' for valid emails, but the full headers would be more of a clue than the email text itself.

Dean
Asst Mod

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Have been hacked. I just got this email which was in my spam box and I thought at least I look at the email address they have sent this one to, and figured out that someone has hacked the email addresses of iap. I intentionally di not use my real email address for this purpose since this is a public forum and thought that it would be hacked. I am hoping that admin. will respond to this.

There's no evidence at all from the server side that we've been hacked.

Anyone else who feels that the email address behind their IAP account has been stolen should forward the entire email, including headers, to admin@penturners.org

Please also send me a PM advising me of your suspicion.

We take every possible precaution to protect our database. Anything is possible, but it's highly unlikely.

phillywood

Phillip, I'm not sure I understand, the IAP doesn't use a Yahoo email address, where was the email sent from?? and how do you figure the IAP was hacked??
Ken, what I did when I set up the IAP account was that I used a disposable email address just for this purpose, so the hpmmail- is mine and I then put each account's name I create after that so I can tell where the spams are coming from. If I get too many then I block that email off and I am done. What happened here is that someone got hold of my email account that I get all my IAP emails to it form IAP site and thought that they could spam me. That's why I posted it so you all will know that do not open this kind of email if you don't recognize it. I hope this helped.

Last edited:

phillywood

There's no evidence at all from the server side that we've been hacked.

Anyone else who feels that the email address behind their IAP account has been stolen should forward the entire email, including headers, to admin@penturners.org

Please also send me a PM advising me of your suspicion.

We take every possible precaution to protect our database. Anything is possible, but it's highly unlikely.

Jeff, I just sent the whole thing to you hope you'd have a chance to look into this thank you for your time.

bitshird

Phillip, maybe it's your good luck day, perhaps you may want to play a little blackjack, or poker, who knows you may win big <LOL> Possibly you replied to someone who emailed you on that account and they got hit with a trojan and the same message went to every one in their email address book.
that's usually the way that stuff happens.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Phil

Google your email... It's in various places around the net including posted in the clear at Yahoo and it's in several mass email (i.e. spammer) databases.

I hope that shines a little light on the situation.

jd99

That address is a yahoo address yahoo gets hacked all the time, what you have is some hacker or group of hackers has gotten a hold of someones address book of which that address is listed, this would expain why not everyone on this site has received the spam.

If the IAP address book was hacked Im sure a lot of us would be receiving the same thing.

I work in this field, the internet is the wild west all over again.:eek:

phillywood

That address is a yahoo address yahoo gets hacked all the time, what you have is some hacker or group of hackers has gotten a hold of someones address book of which that address is listed, this would expain why not everyone on this site has received the spam.

If the IAP address book was hacked Im sure a lot of us would be receiving the same thing.

I work in this field, the internet is the wild west all over again.:eek:
Well, if anything is for good cause soemone will spoil it sooner or later. ther are some sick headed people that got nothing to do, but making it hard for honest ones.

turbowagon

Phil

Google your email... It's in various places around the net including posted in the clear at Yahoo and it's in several mass email (i.e. spammer) databases.

I hope that shines a little light on the situation.

Actually if you search using quotes for an exact match, there are no hits on google.

Having said that, there are MANY ways that spammers can harvest email addresses. I've gotten spam to email addresses that have NEVER been used for ANYTHING. Check the link below for more info on the subject:

How do spammers harvest email addresses ?

Top Bottom