Ask Dick Sing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Next weekend, I will have the chance to "interview" Dick Sing at the Midwest Penturners' Gathering in Schaumburg, IL.

Once again I am looking for input. What questions do you have for the man who "wrote the book" (actually nine, I think) on penturning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I have one. Where does he think pen turning will be in 10 years? Seems like most of the Pen Turners are older and retiring. So what happens when they don't make pens anymore? Will there be a sustained interest in the younger generation and what needs to be done to get them involved in pens?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I will certainly ask him where he envisions penturning in 10 years.

Answering that will require "speculation", so it will be the last question. I hope we can delve into what we as an industry can glean from his decades of experience.

My planned first question: When you started making pens, as a retired machinist, why did you look for a "kit" instead of threading a plastic body and making a "kitless" pen?

I suspect he has given that some thought, over the years as the industry evolves to "kitless" designs.

its_virgil

Tell Dick and Cindy Hello for me. Wish I could be there.

Ask him to tell you the story of him, Bill Baumbeck, and Barry Gross and a cigar band used to make a pen.

have a good time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
yes, I did this a couple weeks ago and have a few questions from that thread.

I want more because I like to be prepared when giving a presentation.

IF the audience asks tons of questions, none of this will be necessary, but as a presenter, it is my job to entertain and inform for an hour---I take that very seriously.

So, I am still looking for input!!!

(And will be until 5 minutes before our session starts!!)

jttheclockman

yes, I did this a couple weeks ago and have a few questions from that thread.

I want more because I like to be prepared when giving a presentation.

IF the audience asks tons of questions, none of this will be necessary, but as a presenter, it is my job to entertain and inform for an hour---I take that very seriously.

So, I am still looking for input!!!

(And will be until 5 minutes before our session starts!!)

Sounds good. Some times I think I may dream things and they did not happen so good to know this was real time.:biggrin::biggrin:

Woodchipper

Seems like most of the Pen Turners are older and retiring.
Interesting statement. I belong to a local woodturning club. This is a concern as the vast number of members are well up in years. Very few young people are taking up this hobby or madness as some call it. American Association of Woodturners is working to recruit younger folks and has an active group of Women in Turning. Looking forward to reading the interview.

Top Bottom