Apparently not my week in the shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well started the week off with contact dermatitis and then just now I managed to knock my skew chisel off the bench. The good news is I saved the edge. Bad news is, it's definitely sharp. No stitches needed since it was just a graze but wife has banned me from returning to the shop for a bit.

Sorry about the ugly foot photo... I'll moisturize after the bleeding stops ;)

No pen blanks were harmed during the incident.
48314a5b4a979f3cf1dd573137b04f90.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

The that's what happens when you play hackysack with a skew. Maybe time for some steel toed safety shoes or boots. The next item your feet stop could be a chuck or an anvil. :eek: Heal quick.

Yea... Stepped out to put glue on a blank so didn't put my shoes on. Laid one of my skew chisels to the side and knocked it off with my elbow. Note to self, put shoes (or fancy Swiss socks) on any time I go into the "shop".

Or learn to dance a quick step :biggrin::biggrin:

I've dropped a skew a couple of times and definitely learned the quick step... I keep having a vision of it landing point first in the middle of my foot... :eek::eek:

The one time I didn't step fast enough was a few years back, was helping a friend close down his warehouse doors... he had a pile of down hole guns on the dock and one was blocking the door, I pushed it away with my right foot and reached for the door chain... it rolled back and I was still standing with my right foot in the air... it landed on my left foot, just the end of my big toe... broke it in 6 places... essentially crush the last joint in the toe... I now watch carefully anything that might land on my toes. :)

Take care and heal quickly.

magpens

Tim, I am sorry about your accident .......

...... but .......

not surprised for someone with the affiliation you declared in your profile .......

....... be careful you don't step on an IED next time you go out without your combat boots on.

Last edited:
It landed handle first and then headed towards the concrete away from the nice padded area. For some stupid reason all I could picture was the thing getting the edge all dinged up from the floor so I stuck my leg out to cushion the fall. In my defense I was aiming for the not sharp part but it found me anyways

thewishman

It landed handle first and then headed towards the concrete away from the nice padded area. For some stupid reason all I could picture was the thing getting the edge all dinged up from the floor so I stuck my leg out to cushion the fall. In my defense I was aiming for the not sharp part but it found me anyways

I am NOT judging. Hope your workshop ban is lifted soon.:)

Twas but a flesh wound... Despite the grumbling I was back out finishing the pen I hope to submit for prettiest wood. Couple coats more glue tomorrow and should be good to go! Trying my first segmented pen with curly spalted mango, African black wood, and curly Koa. It's looking pretty good, maybe even worth the couple drops of blood spilled!

sfhipchick

So sorry you hurt yourself! :(
The pen you're working on sounds fabulous, can't wait to see it! :)

My poor feet know your pain! I had the worst run of bad luck a few weeks back...started the morning with plans to go on a bike ride but one of my dogs changed that for me by running right on top of my right foot and severely spraining two toes and four joints. I thought they were broken but they were only badly sprained. Swelled up and every joint was black and blue, the top of my foot was black and blue too. So a couple of days later I am out on my back deck and didn't notice a paper wasp nest built under one of our lounge chairs. I brushed by it and as I stood there cleaning up some stuff I felt on my right ankle...STING! and STING! and STING! and my left foot STING! and by that time I was hobbling full-speed off the deck and around the side of the house with wasps in hot pursuit! Onto the porch, open the door...IT'S LOCKED!!!... unlock it as quickly as I can, leap inside and slam the door shut after me. OUCH those wasp stings really hurt for the first 5 minutes!!! The 3 stings on my right foot was something I'd never experienced before and my foot swelled up to resemble a ballpark frank for about a week, with my left just a little bit. Just to add insult to injury, I managed to step on a Nylabone with my right foot in just the right angle so that my foot see-sawed on the bone and I rolled all of my weight onto my sprained toes...HOLY EXPLETIVES, I am sure I came up with some new words when that happened!! However, day by day I'm getting better and as of today, my sprained toes are just about healed and the wasp stings are a thing of the past as of a week ago. MAN, my poor feet!!

Here's hoping your foot heals quickly and you can walk around ok!

Last edited:

sfhipchick

Ok... You win this round! lol I'm good to go, little sore but really wasn't that deep. I got lucky and learned a safety lesson without paying too badly for it.

It's great when we get these close calls that shake our shoulders and make us extra aware of the dangers. I'm just glad it wasn't worse. Our tools are so sharp, you can't be too careful!

Woodchipper

I dropped an Xacto knife with the #11 blade; landed on my instep point first. Thought the leather shoes would protect me. Took off the shoe and had a time stopping the bleeding. Landed on a small vein.
Even worse- cut my thumb making a salad. $310 and three stitches. That's $103.33 per stitch in case you are wondering.
Glad it wasn't any worse as sometimes the little things wind up being bad on us.

Top Bottom