anything fun todo in the tempe/mesa AZ area?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarrell

i will be in tempe/mesa next week working...but i have evenings to do whatever i want...

it doesn't look like any of the turning clubs are having mtgs next week, so i thought i ask and see if any of the penturners had anything going on??

are there any good stores i should make it a point to visit while i'm there?

thanx in advance...

torne pluma...jeff c, normally in foat wuth TEXAS
www.bubbasville.com
www.texaswoodshop.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

You should visit the #1 pen shop in Az....Penworks in Cave Creek, AZ. The owner is kinda cranky, but tell him I sent ya for a discount and I get my commission.[:D] Get some insurnace while you are there and by yorself a gold nib and a genuine penchetta pen. Don't know if its close to Tempe or Mesa, but it will be worth the drive. Have fun Jeff. There are quite a few Zonies on this board. I hope some of them invite you over. Come on guys...Jeff is the mayor of bubbasville, TX.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by jcarrell
<br />i will be in tempe/mesa next week working...but i have evenings to do whatever i want...

it doesn't look like any of the turning clubs are having mtgs next week, so i thought i ask and see if any of the penturners had anything going on??

are there any good stores i should make it a point to visit while i'm there?

thanx in advance...

torne pluma...jeff c, normally in foat wuth TEXAS
www.bubbasville.com
www.texaswoodshop.com

JimGo

Don, do you know the hours of that particular shop? I'm going to be in Phoenix next Thursday, but probably won't get there 'till too late. From what I can tell, the store is almost always closed - the proprietor is either out playing golf or in the back making more inventory!

vick

There are 5 or 6 of us in the general area. There a couple of good hardwood, woodworking tools stores but nothing spectacular.

short list
Chandler hardwoods - has exotic pen blanks for $.50 a piece, not burls or anything but blood wood, mesquite, purple heart, yellow heart, gona alves, morado, che-chen and stuff like that. Good price on bowl blanks but mostly walnut, maple, Sepele padauk, and 2 or 3 more. If you want directions let me know they were not in the phone book last time I looked.

Woodcraft - I bet you know what they carry there is one in Chandler.

Timber Hardwoods - in Mesa I have only gone there once but they have a machinery store and a lumber store right next to each other. The wood is a little pricey again no burl, or pen blanks but they do have beautiful Walnut gun stock blanks and a selection of hardwood.

I think there is a rockler and another big wood store in Phx but I have never been to either.

If you have time to have lunch I would love to meet up to you, but my evenings are pretty filled ( small children)

edit in -
http://woodworkerssource.net/
this is the link to the other wood store I was thinking of.

its_virgil

Don't know the hours. I think he has a pen case bolted to the back of his golf cart. Otherwise, it on the honor systems...Pick out a pen and leave what you think its worth[:D] Do go by and say hi to
Anthony. I bet I hear from him later this evening.[}:)]

You're lucky Jeff. I looked on the map and Cave Creek is just about 2.5 inches north of Pheonix. Have a good time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Don, do you know the hours of that particular shop? I'm going to be in Phoenix next Thursday, but probably won't get there 'till too late. From what I can tell, the store is almost always closed - the proprietor is either out playing golf or in the back making more inventory!

airrat

Chandler hardwoods is only open during normal business hours. However, I was just there today. They some some large chunks of Buckeye burl, priced 100 - 150 or so. I bought a nice bowl blank of Black Limba for $15. I was assured they are continuing to get more turning stock in.

As you all might know I will not reccommend anyone go to wood workers source for anything. (see other posting of mine) I will probably get in trouble for badmouthing them but oh well.

Anthony's place is about 45 min to 1 hour from Chandler.

As to non-turning for shopping you have alot of areas here to do that, Normally in the winter you can drive 1 1/2 hrs to the snow HOWEVER, this year you wont get that lucky. Maybe you can bring some rain for us, 135 days and counting no rain.

I work in the evenings.

its_virgil

Anthony's golf game must have run overtime. I thought he would have chimed in this thread by now.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by airrat
<br />Chandler hardwoods is only open during normal business hours. However, I was just there today. They some some large chunks of Buckeye burl, priced 100 - 150 or so. I bought a nice bowl blank of Black Limba for $15. I was assured they are continuing to get more turning stock in.

As you all might know I will not reccommend anyone go to wood workers source for anything. (see other posting of mine) I will probably get in trouble for badmouthing them but oh well.

Anthony's place is about 45 min to 1 hour from Chandler.

As to non-turning for shopping you have alot of areas here to do that, Normally in the winter you can drive 1 1/2 hrs to the snow HOWEVER, this year you wont get that lucky. Maybe you can bring some rain for us, 135 days and counting no rain.

I work in the evenings.

airrat

Who knows what new thing Anthony is coming up with today.

It was approx 78 degress and sunny today. I even got a slight sunburn [:D]

20063334110_sunburn.gif

PenWorks

Your right [:D] Spent to much time at the 19th hole tonight [:p]
Hard to stay off the links , when it is almost 80 degrees outside. [8D]

I am not allways cranky [xx(] I do have my good days . There are a ton of Zonies in the Mesa/Tempe area. I would stop bye Kevin & Mike's place and dirty their shop [:D]

Jim, if you look on my website, "by appointment" you haven't made one yet. Let me know when and where you will be.

PenWorks

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Don't know the hours. I think he has a pen case bolted to the back of his golf cart. Otherwise, it on the honor systems...Pick out a pen and leave what you think its worth[:D] Do go by and say hi to
Anthony. I bet I hear from him later this evening.[}:)]

You're lucky Jeff. I looked on the map and Cave Creek is just about 2.5 inches north of Pheonix. Have a good time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Don, do you know the hours of that particular shop? I'm going to be in Phoenix next Thursday, but probably won't get there 'till too late. From what I can tell, the store is almost always closed - the proprietor is either out playing golf or in the back making more inventory!

You guys are a real joke machine tonight [:D] whatsamatta, can't get into the shop to make pens [:)]

I'll have you know, I sold my fair share of pens at the club. Been know to pay my debts with them as well. I have trained my empployees to sell pens when I'm not in, they don't like it, but I sign their checks [:0]

Jim & Jeff, I live just a couple of minutes from my office, so any time is ussually good.
2.5 inches on a Texas map, is like being around the block [:D] I am probablly about 45 minutes from Mesa/Tempe where the air is clean. [8D]

dubdrvrkev

Well I guess I am coming into this one a little late. I live in the area and might be able to meet up sometime, although I have a buddy in from Canada all week too.
Looks like most of the stores in the area have been covered already.
Let us know what your schedule looks like and we'll see if anything can shake out of it.

cigarman

I am in Phoenix today and wll be until Monday at noon. I do not have my car with me but my son drove my wife and I around for a while looking for a woodworking store, no luck. Oh well I may have used up all my luck earlier this week in Vegas[:D]

airrat

Tom not many know TANSTAAFL, I had to learn that in US History. Teacher wrote it on the board the first day of class, on the day for the final he said "If you remember what was written on the board the first day, please write it down and turn in your test you are excused." Guess he considered the first day was technically US History now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom