Anyone use a pellet stove?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

We were going to get a gas fireplace this winter, but with the gas prices going up we are considering a pellet stove. I have heard from people who love them:) and people who hate them[V].

What Say Ye?:D

Thanks,
Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arjudy

Can't comment on a pellet stove but we just added Vermont Castings Winter Warm Small Insert in September. Fired it up a couple of times and it puts out the heat. It uses a ceramic combustion chamber to ignite and burn the smoke which is produced from burning wood. I think it is near 80% efficient. We like it.

2005102011215_VermontCastingsWinterWarmSmallInsert.jpg
<br />

Ryan

Originally posted by coach
<br />It was 92 degrees here. Just move to South Texas!

Where do you snowshoe and ski?[;)] oops sorry I forgot you don't have mountains or snow. This is why I won't move.[:D]

2005102013505_Alta%20ski.jpg
<br />
I thought for sure someone here would be using a pellet stove.

Thanks,
Ryan

Rifleman1776

I've often wondered 'why?' with regards to pellet stoves. You still have to purchase the fuel. With a wood stove you can cut wood free in many places. And even buying wood is very reasonable. We heated a large, poorly insulated, house for nine years with a Vermont Castings Defiant. It was more than adequate. If you can still handle the cutting and hauling, wood is the way to go.

woodwish

We have a fireplace that we crank up about every 10 years for effect. Mostley we use an outside fire pit if we want a fire when it gets cool enough here. I save all the wood scraps from the shop, when the can gets full we grab a bottle of wine and sit out on the deck to watch the fire. During the summer we just stockpile until it gets cool enough, our rule is that it has to be below 60 which we still haven't done this fall (cold front this weekend I think).

And if we want to ski we get behind the boat, instead of snowshoes we use a skimboard along the surf. The photo above is beautiful and we do like to visit snow occasionally, but I'll stick to the warm Florida winters!

Do they make a pellet-powered air conditioner?

Ryan

I grew up with a woodburning stove and wish we could now use them more, but due to the burn restrictions that are placed on us during the winter inversions they just are not the most useful. I love the smell of the woodburners while walking down the street on a cold snowy night. The pellet burners burn cleaner and we should be able to use them on the no burn days.

Ryan

M

Mudder

Don't laugh, this is true!

I have a buddy who bought a stove last year that runs on corn.

http://www.smartbuildingproducts.com/Amaizablaze.htm

He loves it and says it's cheaper to run than a pellet stove and heats as well. Might be something to look into.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />Don't laugh, this is true!

I have a buddy who bought a stove last year that runs on corn.

http://www.smartbuildingproducts.com/Amaizablaze.htm

He loves it and says it's cheaper to run than a pellet stove and heats as well. Might be something to look into.

Don't knock it.. .they are very popular here in farm country... corn is cheaper than pellets and wood (unless you cut your own)... and is advertised as having the same efficiency of a pellet stove...
I was seriously thinking of one for the shop (garage), but price put me off for now.... dried corn kernels would cost me nothing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom