Anyone see themselves?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

The life of a pen turner…
Phase 1- "Honey – if I buy this lathe, I can make pens and other cool stuff. I already have a drill so I won't need to buy anything else"

Phase 2- "Oh yes dear- those boxes are for me- it turns out I needed to order a mandrel and a set of bushings before I can make a pen."

Phase 3- "Look baby! I made a pen. It was so fun turning on the lathe. It was like therapy for me. But it could be a lot better. I need some better sandpaper and some lathe tools. Then I can really make a good pen"

Phase 4- "Yes dear, those boxes are for me- I found a different website to order stuff from. And I got some other pen kits that I think you will like."

Phase 5- "I can't do that pen kit – it turns out there are different sets of bushings. And I need to get some better drill bits. And I want to try some other kinds of wood. But then I'll be all set. I'm getting good at these. I bet I could even sell some."

Phase 6- "Wow- check out this pen! I'm really impressed. It looks really good. But I was looking at youtube and it turns out I can make it look even better with some superglue. I'm just going to place a quick order."

Phase 7- "Yes- I know I ordered more than just superglue- I needed some more pen kits so I can make enough to sell."

Phase 8- "Kids!! Bring me the nail polish remover. I superglued my hand to the workbench"

Phase 9- "Honey- I want to take a little side trip over to this store called WoodCraft- its out of the way, but I just need 2 more pen kits. Then I'll take you out to a nice dinner."

Phase 10- "Wow- that's a cool store- that took longer than I thought… and… uh… how about we just eat those leftovers?"
Phase 11- "Babe- check this out- there is a Facebook page just for Pen Turning! Wow- Look how beautiful these pens are"

Phase 12- "Wow- people make all these awesome blanks- I ordered a few from people on this facebook group."

Phase 13- "Hi Honey- I'll be home in an hour- did the mail come yet? I'm expecting some packages….. yes, I know. But I need to make a pen for Dave, and he wanted some specific colors that I didn't have."

Phase 14- "I sold 3 pens this week. I made $90! … yes, I know I spent $60 at 2 different stores this week and another $100 at a website on pen kits. But people are asking for me to make them pens! I think I might open an etsy store."

Phase 15- "Really? It's midnight already?? Sorry dear- I'll be done in 10 minutes."

Phase 16- "I'm sorry dear, it was a $15 stabilized pinecone blank and it shattered on me……. … … yes…. $15 for one blank… .I thought I told you? … yes dear, I'll apologize to your mother for my language."

Phase 17- "No- I'm sure not all these boxes are for me. I only ordered a couple things. Oh wow! Those got here fast. Oh yes. And those are the new kits and bushings. Yes. I do need 3 different kinds of superglue. Check out these blanks! don't they look sweet? I saw them on that facebook group I told you about. "

Phase 18- "You don't need to get me anything for Christmas. I ordered a new drill and I bought some stuff to start making my own blanks so I can save money. That charge- yes, that was me- that's a new website I found…. Ok… you don't have to get me anything for my birthday either."

Phase 19- "No, I'm not giving you another pen for your birthday. I want to take you out to eat at your favorite place…. No I didn't pick that place because it's close to woodcraft. "

Phase 20- "Ooooo- check out this laser engraver! I could make some really cool pens with that… babe? Dear?? You there hon??

it's not an exact science, but I'm guessing most in this group have been thru at least a few of these.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Let's give credit to Craig for writing that on Facebook this morning... :) (I'm in grad school, cite or die!)

There are several steps beyond that... I'm currently on the one where my wife actually manages our Instagram account and helps wrap orders. :biggrin:

lorbay

Yup and $40.000 later
Then my wife says to me, I am surprised you have not tried blade smithing.:eek::eek::eek:
Lin

More4dan

Blade smithing can start out cheaper and very unlikely to get to $40k. Unless you HAVE to have metal mills and lathes, surface grinders, and power hammers. Mostly needed for folders and forging. Most get by with a good 2" x 72" grinder ($1500-$2500) and optional heat treat oven ($1000-$2000). You can spend 6-12 hours to make a $150-$250 knife. You can make a lot of pens in 6-12 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Chief TomaToe

Let's give credit to Craig for writing that on Facebook this morning... :) (I'm in grad school, cite or die!)

There are several steps beyond that... I'm currently on the one where my wife actually manages our Instagram account and helps wrap orders. :biggrin:

She does a great job! You guys are a great follow on Instagram along with some other kitless pen makers. I will definitely be trying some DiamondCast blanks once I do my next round of blank shopping, and that has to do a lot with your awesome advertising.

Which step on the first post is where you spend all your budget on sparkly blanks???

I'll be sure to pass along the compliments to her! She made the decision early on that rather than just post our blanks on there we could use it as a platform to help our customers. Last year I can think of at least a couple dozen pens that were sold after we shared them. Absolutely love putting buyers in touch with pen makers through there!

I believe Phase 12 would be the blow the budget on sparkly stuff phase...:tongue:

greenacres2

That explains the perfectly folded tissue around the blanks!! :biggrin:

Of Tim's blanks that i've turned, i've sold a third, have a third in inventory and the other third are in my wife's possession!!

earl

bsshog40

Yea I thought at first, "well I'll buy the $800 lathe and see if I'll use it." I never thought after 5 months that I would have invested 3x that in tools and accessories. That's not counting the new bandsaw that I just bought. Oh well, at least the wife will have something to sell after I head to the other side. Lmao

Top Bottom