Anyone have any Celluloid?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I know, a very long shot as I don't think it has been made for years and years. My Mother has a HUGE collection of celluloid, and I thought if I could find a piece of celluloid that I could turn a pen for her she would love it. I know most of the later stuff is a bakelite type of material, but would really love to find some celluloid.

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I was thinking the same thing about the heat.. I wonder about using some type of lubricant, but not sure what. If water is the best or some sort of oil. But I worry about using any type of product that might make it difficult to glue in the tube. I enjoy a challenge, and as I said this would be for my Mother, so taking my time would be fine.

scotian12

I tried to drill a blank earlier in the week and the drill bill melted the material. I was drilling at 920 rpm. Keith or Ed...do you have any recommended speeds for drilling this material. Any subsequent tips for turning it. Thanks Darrell

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You have to have sharp bits (when I was turning it, I did not know how to sharpen bits, I ruined a LOT of blanks). Then, you can use water to cool. Drill a quarter inch, pull out bit, fill with cold water, drill another quarter inch, empty water from hole, put new cold water in hole, drill a quarter inch. Once you get to an inch. Quit. Wait for everything to cool completely.

That was the regimen that worked for me---using dull bits!!! (DO drill with small bit, then enlarge)

I suspect I would do much better today---

FWIW,
Ed

Last edited:
Top Bottom