Anybody had any experience using barrier cream to avoid allergic reactions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

monkeynutz

After a very nasty bout with some Bolivian Rosewood recently (never gave me trouble before), my Dermatologist recommended, in addition to the other steps I have implemented, that I use a "barrier cream" on my wrists and the backs of my hands. He recommended "SBR Lipocream", which I have since found out has been discontinued. Does anybody have any experience using anything like this? Can you recommend an alternative product to the one I can't get?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Personally I would avoid the wood all together than try and find a way around it. The wood will always win no matter what precautions you take.

Other than that I have never used anything like that.

DocStram

Rich .... I am certain, without a doubt, that absolutely nobody in IAP surpasses me when it comes to contact dermatitis on my fingers and hands. My fingers literally ooze with blood. I have had every cream, lotion, ointment, gel .... including injections of cortisone into my fiinger tips (an especially exciting procedure). Barrier creams may help when it comes to minor irritants .... but they haven't done a thing for me when it comes to being in my shop working with various woods.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear .... but, I've been prescribed everything from udderbalm to ridiculously expensive medications.

For me, the best thing that I can do when I'm working with wood is to use gloves. Latex, nitrile gloves are NOT the answer. They make your hands perspire and that aggravates the situation. I use Mechanix type of gloves.

M

monkeynutz

Benjamin, only problem is that I no longer know which woods will give me a problem. Woods that I have worked many times before could light me up next time, and I never know which ones will. I don't want to quit the hobby altogether, so I must find something that will add some protection.

Al, I'm glad that I haven't gotten to that stage yet... I agree that rubber gloves are not the answer, especially in FL. I can wear them for an hour, and then literally pour the sweat out of them. Ugh! But, I rely so much on feel that I fear mechanic's gloves will be too thick. I'm going to try some thinner fabric gloves, even though they might let enough contact occur to trigger a reaction. Just have to find the right combination, I guess. :frown:

nava1uni

I have found there is a cream called Liquid glove. You rub it into your hands before you begin a job and it stays on your hands until you wash them. I used it a lot when I was an auto mechanic and it protected my hands from everything but gasoline. I found it at the drug store and also an auto parts store.

bitshird

The gloves Al was referring to do allow for good tactile feeling, I normally don't advise using gloves near a lathe, I've heard of some bad accidents, but the Mechanix gloves from Autozone are probably the safest because they are like a spandex material with ultra suede palms and do conform to your hand very well

Fred

Here we have another classic story about the results of someone becoming "sensitized'. I hate to tell you, but it will never get any better until you leave that species - and all others kin to it - alone forever.

Your system is telling you that it has had enough of the fun and games of working with that wood and if you don't listen to what your body is saying VERY LOUDLY, well then you may end up far, far worse that you are right now.

The family of Rosewood's is known to be extremely dangerous to use if you have even the smallest of problems. Wait until you get a splinter from it and then you will definitely be in for a dangerous ride. The medical bills and time spent in the hospital will far outweigh any money you think you may make by using this species of wood.

Check out all the information you can get your hands on about being allergic vs being or becoming sensitized. It can be and quite often is life threatening. It is akin to being exposed over and over again to something like radiation. After a very short passage of time your body's defensive mechanisms cannot and will not handle any amount of exposure to the wood. Right now you have heard from your body in a low voice. Next time you probably will be hearing from your local ER doctor's.

Get all the Rosewood and related species out of your shop NOW. Have a sale here ASAP. You will never get over this sensitized reaction from this wood. It will only be increasingly worse with each outbreak and ultimately the wood will win and you will lose big time. :eek:

M

monkeynutz

Fred, I am afeared that I will over time become sensitized to more and more woods, and then there will be a tool sale, rather than a wood sale... :frown:

Am I gonna have to become a wood scientist to determine which woods are, and are not, related to rosewood? or to canarywood? I understand that the cedars are noted for sensitization. How many of the 200 or so different woods in my shop am I gonna have to clear out? I am hating this...

Rich,
I don't know how barrier creams will work for woods, but I use an Ivy-block for poison ivy.. I'm highly allergic or sensitive to it and just the thought of it can make me breakout in nasty runny, weeping blisters. The ivy block seems to work about 98%, but I'll still get a spot here and there that I might have missed when I put it on. I always wear long pants, long sleeves, high boots, etc when I know I'll be working around it. So far this summer, I've avoided any serious outbreaks.

For the wood barriers, I would think that short of having a tub of it and being able to completely submerge your body so as to cover everywhere, you could still have some problems... the dust floating in the air can settle on you and will cause a problem.

I've moved to using a smock when I turn, zipped and wrapped to the neck... seems to have helped some for me. I don't use gloves, except for a cut-off leather glove on the left hand when I'm hogging wood off a new piece... the wood chips were beginning to hurt and skin was sensitive to them flying against the back of my hand. I've still had to pull Paduak from my shop.. (knock on green wood (the side of the head)) so far that seems to be the only wood I am sensitive to. Also I've careful to always use either a mask or a respirator. As everyone has said and has cautioned me a wood sensitivity is not fun. So far all I get is a pretty nasty rash, but I don't want to go any further if I can prevent it.

Skye

Rich .... I am certain, without a doubt, that absolutely nobody in IAP surpasses me when it comes to contact dermatitis on my fingers and hands.

You need to turn more acrylics I think. Wow.

I know I developed an allergy to Bloodwood and Cocobolo. I'm guessing anything in that family as well.

Top Bottom