Any machinests out there?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Ok, just a little edit to change what I am not looking for. I managed to get the bearings out using a trick I had almost forgot about, bearing grease to pack the hole tight and a wood dowel popped quickly into the center race will "pop" the bearing out.

So now that I have the bearing out I just need new shafts made. I need two new shafts (live center points) made. I have measurements below for what I am looking for. If you have a good metal lathe that can make these precise enough for a live center, please let me know.

FYI... The first one is an odd ball custom center, and is measured as such:

Tenon into bearing: .370" wide x .245" long
Flange: .50" wide x .075" thick (This sits against the outside of the bearing center like a thin washer)
Point: .65" long with a 60 degree taper and the shaft of the point is .254" (*see note below)

* Yes, this center does have a .650" long, .254" diameter tip with a tiny 60 degree taper at the very end of the shaft. I need this to clear my cutting bit for my metal lathe to make the pen mills.

The other one would be a standard 60 degree taper so I can re-build my wood lathe center while I am at it.

Tenon into bearing: .470" wide x .391" long
Wide flange end: .70" and tapered to a 60 degree point. (What ever length that comes out to based on a .70" wide end at the bearing.)

If anyone can make these shafts for me, please let me know. I do need them to be pretty dead on, my lathe is just not set up good enough to make them. I spend a few hours trying to build a new live center from scratch and there was just too much run out when I was done. Now that I have the bearings out of my sockets I can order new bearings and install the new points if someone can make me new ones.

I would buy a new on for the metal lathe, but because I turn them between center so they can be flipped over and stay true, I need to tool to enter the stock at the live center end at just a 1/4" diameter. I can not do this with a standard center. For the other shaft, if it's not too much extra work I can just rebuild my wood lathe center while I have to order bearings and have a tip made anyway.

Please let me know if you can help me out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom