Any interest in these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

A friend of mine is a metal worker, and I had him make these for me. They are 1" hot rolled steel. I had them made weeks ago, but wanted to fully evaluate them prior to asking if anyone would be interested. They are no less than awesome. I don't even use the cast iron one that came with my lathe anymore. Unless I have to get REALLY close to what I'm turning. I know I've seen in some pictures here on this site we have turners that use them.
My friend says that the six inch would be $15, and the 12 would be $20. I think the bent ones will go for $25, depending on the length, but don't quote me on that. I've seen how much work he has to do to clean these bars up before he makes them, and I think he undercharges, but hey, whattayagonnado? Anyway, here's a pic. If there is enough interest generated, I'll post a classified.
Oh, before anyone asks, I am not making a dime on these. My friend was nice enough to make them for me, and I said I'd see if any of my turner friends wanted them.

200643221053_tool%20rests.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I am interested on the long "J" rest (left most on the pic).

Is the weld guaranteed from failure? I only have a Jet 1236 but would hate to have that fail while hollowing the bowl interior.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Dario
<br />I am interested on the long "J" rest (left most on the pic).

Is the weld guaranteed from failure? I only have a Jet 1236 but would hate to have that fail while hollowing the bowl interior.
I have put these welds through the ringer, and they have held up very well. I have seen some of the things that he has built that require a very good, strong weld, and I'd say that you have nothing to worry about.

whatwoodido

Those prices are way too low. They should be at least double. That said I would be interested in a 6" and 9" if they are available.

Drew

Woodnknots

He does not have a stock currently made and ready to go. Each one would have to be custom made, so it may take time. He's currently over taking care of jury duty, so I'll talk to him when he gets back to work today or tomorrow. (assuming he does get back)

dubdrvrkev

I'd be interested in a few.
Could you measure the tool post with some calipers and let us know what is measures? An inch is not always an inch. [;)]

Woodnknots

Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
<br />I'd be interested in a few.
Could you measure the tool post with some calipers and let us know what is measures? An inch is not always an inch. [;)]
I have a General international lathe with a standard tool rest. I have no problem in the least with any of these fitting. I don't have a set of dial calipers. My calipers are slide calipers, and they show 1".

Daniel

these should fit my lathe as is but I woudl have to double check the next time I go visit it. I woudl definitly be interested in the 6 and 12 inch, a 9 inch sounds good if he makes that to. the bent ones are tempting but I have to see how well my pocket holds up. great prices I just have a thin wallet right now.

Woodnknots

I have let him know that there is definitely interest in these. I will repost, or have him sign up as a member and post when he is ready to start production. The prices I have posted may or may not be the final prices. If he raises them, it won't be by more than $5 or so apiece. It depends on what price he can get the steel for.

johnson

Are they mild steel? Are they welded with wire feed or heli-arc? Being a welder I make my own, but these look good. The first thing I tossed on both my lathes were the cast rests. I also have the rests that are drilled and tapped and then all that is needed is to mill a post to fit whatever the lathe calls for.
Dale

TomServo

That was going to be my question, I know some time ago a member was making and selling chromoly steel rests, some nice hard stuff that would hold up to our tools and abuses.. How hard is that hot rolled steel? I know it's not fun to machine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom