Any interest in spalted So. American Rosewood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

I found a board of South American Rosewood that has a lot of sap in it. I went over and picked it up. All the sap is spalted. I have not seen this before and was wondering if there would be any interest in it here.

It is costly at about $33.00 a board foot. I would have to take the whole board which is about 6" wide and 7-8' long. That is about 4 board feet. This means for about 1.45 + shipping we could have the board and about 96 blanks. Some would be pure spalted sap, others would be some of each, and some would be pure heartwood. Here are some pictures:

2006420164759_Spalted%20Rosewood%201.jpg

I tried to post some others that showed the back and the price, but I forgot to resize them. I will post them later if there is any interest.

Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

That's really pretty Ryan! I have some Cocobolo with heart and sapwood, and may add some to my "spalt bag" to see if I can get this to happen! Depending on the cost per person, I might be interested.

chitswood

I see that all the time, it nothing rare so be careful about the price.
I see it mostly on bocote sapwood and almost always on any chechen sapwood.

Has anyone seen royal rosewood????
Its rosewood with intense black line that run through the whole thing, the lines aren't real thick, but theres so much of it that far a away the board looks more black than pink/purple
Its extremly rare, I heard rumors of Royal cocobolo but never seen any.

Ryan

Billy,

I believe it is 15/16" (4/4)Thick.

Jim,

If there is enough interest I can or will cut it up into blanks and you could just buy a few if that is all you want.

Ryan

JimGo

Ryan, I'd be willing to take part of the board, too; no need to cut it into blanks. I don't have Billy's deep pockets, though. I'd be willing to put up $15 or so toward the cost.

JimGo

Tempting Billy, but after reviewing my current "stash", I need to limit what I bring home! If only it were thicker...it would probably make some interesting bottle stoppers and/or canes.

Ryan

I think I will go get 6" or so and see how far the sap goes through the board. I would hate to get it for the spalted sap only to find out it got turned off. The back of the board is all heart wood.

Ryan

Ryan

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />If only it were thicker...it would probably make some interesting bottle stoppers and/or canes.

If you are looking for thicker I have some light curl Jatoba aka Brazilian Cherry. It is in the 2"+ square range.

Not tring to be a wood dealer, but like most I am just trying to do some spring cleaning.

I am going to slice the Jatoba up and make some patio planters from it.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom