Another Wood ID test... - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Default Another Wood ID test...

Hi All,

On Aug. 27, 2018, we had a tornado touch down about 3 miles north of us, Wreaking havoc with the trees in the area. Whole stands of 100' lodgepole pines that are now 30', barns flattened, silos damaged, and lots of flooding.

We got 14" of rain in 2 days, with 12" falling on that day in 3 hours! Yes, 3 hours!

We had no idea this was going to happen, and 45 minutes before the storm, which spawned 19 tornadoes across mid central Wisconsin, we left for Madison for a meeting we had scheduled. As I don't like listening to a radio when I drive, we found out about the storm as we came home around 6:30 pm. There were trees down, power lines down, and, stretches of power lines that were taut because they were holding up entire rows of trees! We were without power for 2 1/2 days.

On my little slice of heaven, 10 acres, we lost many, many trees. Surprisingly enough, the house was UNDAMAGED! Here are few pictures of the yard and the area.

Now, here's the test... By the way, this is just for fun... All my stash is still buried in a storage shed, so I have nothing to reward you with...

While cutting downed trees into logs, I found this interesting wood. I do know what it is, but how many of you can identify it.

BTW, I am saving a number of interesting chunks to turn, eventually, once I finally get my shop back..... Haven't turned anything since we moved to Wisconsin from Denver 2 years ago.....
WIDirt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 441

Looking at the wood and not leaves/bark... Sumac? Your pickies have many varieties of trees down so I'm just guessing by the wood.

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.

Last edited by mark james; 09-08-2018 at 08:02 PM.
mark james is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 21

I agree with Mark. It really looks like Sumac .
wood128 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 2

That’s a hard one because just looking at the wood color and grain, it resembles mulberry or a species of locust to me. Good luck! I would take a piece to a local tree service and they would know what trees you have in the area and what it is.
JohnU is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Default Well, drat...

OK, I guess this wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be....

Mark and Wood128 are both correct. It is Staghorn Sumac, of which I had 8 and now only have 2... and I will probably lose 1 of those.

I purposely did not show pics of the sumacs in an attempt to up the difficulty. (Of which there apparently wasn't any....)

I'll probably be cutting wood for the next year, tho, I do have a pro coming in to take down all the Widow-makers that are hanging around.

Does the grain remain after it is turned, does anyone know? I have a couple of crotch pieces my wife thinks might make nice bowls or vases. I have tons of pieces to convert to pen blanks, if I can retain the look of the grain.

WIDirt

Last edited by WIDirt; 09-08-2018 at 09:22 PM.
WIDirt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Should retain most if not all of the colour variation as it dries . Best way to get the benefit of the beauty is angle or cross cut . Can`t tell diameter from your photo , but if 4 inches or over , could make cross cut S&P shakers for your wife (the straight grain ones I`ve made also look nice) . Bowls , vases pepper mills , oil lamps , candle holders , potpourri dish , boxes (turned or flat) - looks like you have enough to do it all , unfortunately .
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads