Another blind turner got his own lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

six of my visually impaired turners now have their own lathes. But Manny is the first completely blind turner to get his own home lathe. I took him to Rockler to pick up his Excelsior lathe Friday. He comes to the blind center almost every day, so he can just bring his tools down there for sharpening. He can touch them up with a diamond hone.

He can drill on the lathe. We are trying to come up with a good way for him to find the centers on a blank. If the blanks are perfectly square and true, the pen vise will center it pretty well. But for making handles and such, he will need to be able to find the center of the blanks. Right now, I mark the centers with a punch and he can find them by touch, but he wants to be able to do it himself.

You should have seen us getting it out of the car and into the house. It was too heavy for me to lift, so he picked it up. Then I had to guide him up the driveway, down a narrow porch and into the house. It would have made a great youtube video. I'm not a very good GPS. I sort of ran him off onto the lawn at one point. We both got to laughing and I thought he was going to drop it for sure.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

six of my visually impaired turners now have their own lathes. But Manny is the first completely blind turner to get his own home lathe. I took him to Rockler to pick up his Excelsior lathe Friday. He comes to the blind center almost every day, so he can just bring his tools down there for sharpening. He can touch them up with a diamond hone.

He can drill on the lathe. We are trying to come up with a good way for him to find the centers on a blank. If the blanks are perfectly square and true, the pen vise will center it pretty well. But for making handles and such, he will need to be able to find the center of the blanks. Right now, I mark the centers with a punch and he can find them by touch, but he wants to be able to do it himself.

Sharon I applaud you for what you do. This has to be rewarding for them as well as you. We take many things for granted when we have eyesight. To walk in their shoes has to be a trying ordeal. Keep doing what you do and as been said before here any thing this site can do I am sure it will get done. Happy Holidays to you and all at the center. :):)

WriteON

SB...... You're a special kind of person. It's people like you make a difference because you care.

MRDucks2

I have not used one, but wonder if the "global center finder" would work. Seems similar to those squid looking things but enclosed on the end to better guide and limited to a max of 1", which would work for most pen blanks. Having issues with a photo or link but look it up. It the orange one on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Woodchipper

I have the Woodcraft center finder on a key ring that hangs on the cabinet over the workbench. I find that not all blanks, mine or purchased, are always perfectly square. I mark all four sides with the gadget and aim of the center of all four marks. As you are marking them he is wanting to do things himself, I admire his independence. My complements to you for your work with those students.

sbwertz

I think I just found a solution. I used a scratch awl with a regular yellow plastic center finder. It is easy to seat it by touch, and use the scratch awl, making several passes on each diagonal. I was then able to locate where they cross just by touch, and use the awl to make a small hole where they cross. Then I was able to find the center pin in a spur drive, or the point on a live center by touch, because they will drop into the little hole. Score!

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Good solution to the situation. My complements on your work with visually impaired.
Christian speaker, David Ring, introduces himself- I have cerebral palsy. What's your handicap?

Last edited:
Top Bottom