Am I a pen snob?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Yes, yes I am.

I picked up some pho from my favorite Vietnamese restaurant for lunch and the guy at the register politely handed the receipt and a (gasp) PAPERMATE pen for me to sign it with. I kind of feel bad for my actions. I took the receipt but not the pen, pulled my Cambridge rhodium with ti gold accents rollerball dressed in a beautiful natural buckeye burl from my pocket and noticed as I twisted off the lid that his jaw pretty much hit the counter. He couldn't stop staring at it as I signed my name, twisted the cap back on, and returned it to my pocket. He was still staring at it even as I grabbed the bag and thanked him. I wasn't trying to be a snob, but why settle for a Papermate ballpoint when you have one of those within easy reach? I felt a sense of pride knowing he liked the pen I made yet I still felt like I was being a bit of a jerk. And let's face it, I was, even if unintentionally. Jerks don't know they're being jerks most of the time. It's part of what makes them a jerk. To wrap this ramble up, I get a delicious bowl of oxtail pho there quite frequently. I think when it cools down a bit and I start turning again I'll make him one. He obviously enjoyed it, and right now I can't think of a better person to give one to. Perhaps it will cancel out me being a jerk and Karma will give me a pass.

Any similar experiences?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

My EDC (every day carrier) is a Space Pen. Yeah, I know.
The indignity of it all. I might not have made it, but I've had it for 35 years & it writes no matter what.
It writes on those gas station receipts that have the paper you can't write on, it writes without skipping or blobbing out too.
People still stare at it when I pull it out to use. :)

Um wait a min...that doesn't sound right. :eek:

greenacres2

I always use my own pen--no idea what might be on the "community pen" that gets handed to me. (I also never touch the magazines at a doctor's office--talk about germ exposure!!)

Making him a pen is a great gesture, and will probably be more appreciated than any tip he'll get this year.
earl

Woodchipper

Tell him it is a custom pen and you will make one for him...just need the guidelines to get started. Oh, yes- the deposit to get it started.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You're not a Jerk, but most certainly a pen snob!!! Be proud of it too. :good:

I always use my own pens, and a few I have received as PITH's, and a very few fellow IAP purchases (I do admire others work and appreciate the skill involved).

I love having 5-10 pens made and liberally give them away, many to contractors working on house repairs. But I always give it to them as a surprise, and after I pay my bill - I don't want any misunderstanding that their fair estimate was agreed to.

I also regularly ask folks if they are service members, and they get a corian modified slimline. I have sent a bunch of those away that our Ohio Chapter turned, but I have 5-10 more for personal give-aways.

rwfish

I was actually in a bar in the Atlanta airport and used one of mine. The lady next to me commented on how nice it was and asked if I sell them. I explained that I only sell a few as its just a hobby. I happened to have a few in my bag, showed them to her and she bought one on the spot!
I no longer consider it being a pen snob but rather marketing!

Wow, thanks for all the replies. The thought of a germ encrusted pen for general public use crossed my mind after I made the original post. I think I'll be carrying one fulltime now.

Thanks for easing my mind, maybe I'm not such a jerk after all. But pen snob? Absolutely!

CREID

I went to the dr's office today. And I have to say yes, you are a snob. I thought of you while I was signing the slip for my copay with a, yes, a BIC pen and was happy doing it. Where else could you get to use a BIC pen, with an outrageously huge plastic flower taped to it that has been handled by the very sick and snot nosed children more times then you want to know.
COUGH, ACHEW, COUGH!
I'm not feeling well, so I am going to rest now.

I went to the dr's office today. And I have to say yes, you are a snob. I thought of you while I was signing the slip for my copay with a, yes, a BIC pen and was happy doing it. Where else could you get to use a BIC pen, with an outrageously huge plastic flower taped to it that has been handled by the very sick and snot nosed children more times then you want to know.
COUGH, ACHEW, COUGH!
I'm not feeling well, so I am going to rest now.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Top Bottom