"Am I OK" - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Thumbs up "Am I OK"

I have received several enquiries as to “Am I OK?”

For the many Friends that I have made, over the past 5 years, I need to provide some Explanation as to why my prolonged absence from the I.A.P.

I haven't been on IAP very much since February 6, when I was diagnosed as having had a "TIA" that is a "Transient Ischemic Attack" which is also know as a "Mini Stroke", also “the stroke you would want to have, if you had a choice”.

While I was in Hospital, they were doing their Neurology Work Up, they were concerned with my Pulse Rate. Though I was on Medication of Blood Thinners, and Beta Blocker, to handle my pre-existing “Atrial Fibrillation”.
They started juggling my Medication, and Monitoring, my pulse rate went to over 140 bpm, and at times, too as low as 34 bpm at rest.

Fortunately, my Cardiologist was rostered to work over the coming weekend, and as they believed that my TIA could have been a result of my Atrial Fibrillation.
They jointly agreed that it would be advantageous to continue with the regime of Blood Thinners (Apixaban) and the Beta Blocker (Sotalol) plus, to fit me with a monitoring Pacemaker. Which, as well as to impulse my heart when the pulse rate drops to the predetermined b.p.m., and to revert it into Sinus Rhythm.
It would also Monitor and record my Hearts Function data, then download the data, by Wi-Fi, to a Receiver Unit, which I have located on the floor, alongside my Bed.
The Receiver unit, which is the size of a small mobile phone, which automatically, receives the data from my Pacemaker, it is also fitted with a Sim Card, that sends the data to a Data Service Organisation in Germany, who then forward the required information to my Cardiologist. Who, if there is any significant change, will contact me and take any appropriate remedial corrective action.

An MRI showed that the TIA, has not left any noticeable damage to my Brain, and fortunately I do not have any of the obvious physical, signs of a Stroke, like the facial drooping of the eye, or mouth, nor any affect of the arms or legs.

But is has significantly affected my Mental Recall of Names and Words.
I will be talking or typing, and want to use a specific word that I know, but I can't think of it, and my speech, or typing has to stop until I think of it, or an alternate.
Even every day words like Dishwasher, Refrigerator, it is so frustrating.

Fortunately, thank God, I always remember my wife's name.

It is getting better, but it is also affecting my spelling, so without a spell checker I am so slow, annoyed and very frustrated.
It didn’t help, when recently my computer died a long slow lingering death, and I had to get a new one.
They copied all my files, and programs, however and somehow, I have lost my spell checker, and will have to get it re-installed.
Great to see that it still operates here on the IAP PM's

On the Positive side, I am in good health, and I am still able to turn, and I continue to Instruct Wood turning, at the Men's Shed, every Thursday, and on my once a month rostered Saturday.

I will continue to hover on the sideline, and as I improve, I hope I will be able to participate as previously.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

OZturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Brian, you are missed here but we understand your health is more important. Continue to get better and when you feel well enough jump back in. Listen to the doctors and hope everything continues to improve. Well wishes.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 4

G'day Brian,

Glad to know things are getting better, you are indeed a lucky man to endup with no "major" side-effects from the TIA, your difficulty with remembering certain words that you know and want to use is not uncommon particularly to those that haven't had any TIA or related issues like me, I have that same problem, it is certainly annoying but not the end of the world.

Always happy to see you around.

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Brian,
I haven't been on IAP long, but you had become a name that I was as accustomed to seeing. I am very sorry to hear about your medical issues, as they could be the story of any of us on here, but am very happy that you are progressing and seeing improvement. Stay positive and keep working on moving forward. Also glad to hear that your wife's name is one word that doesn't escape you, we would all be in trouble without those who love us most.
Dr_N is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-27-2018, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 67

Thank you, Brian.

Sorry things have been as you described, but thankfully not any worse as they could have been.

We welcome your participation here any and every time you feel able for it.

Try to keep well and improving every day !!

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-27-2018, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Brian, my friend, you never cease to amaze me! Despite all the medical issues you continue to maintain an upbeat and positive attitude. Your brain seems to be working just fine - you are smart enough to remember Evelyn’s name! Be well.
elkhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-27-2018, 03:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Thank you, very much for your support and kind wishes, John T, George, Dustin, Mal, & John (elkhorn).
Kind regards,
Brian

OZturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Glad to hear you are improving--and encourage you to continue on that direction!!

I'd rather read your postings with some spelling errors than not read them at all, so i'm hoping you are back with us on a more regular basis.

Best wishes,
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Brian, Glad to see you are proving and also sorry for the hardships. My prayers for you!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Brian,
I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, but looks like they are looking up.
My wife has had a number of the TIA's over the past few years and just 4 years ago had a full blown stroke after a long bout with a septic infection through her body. She's also had Atril Fib since she was 26 years old - she's 75 now - and just recently had a pacemaker installed to regulate that... she has a monitor that records information off the pacemaker and transmits it to her doctor every 30 days - when we can get a signal out here in the mountains.... cell phones do get a little iffy sometimes. She does have other problems, but is recovering nicely from the stroke and had no after effects from the TIA's.... hang in there and life will get better..
Wishing you good luck and good health for the future.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads