Al barstock info needed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodkiller

I have some aluminum bar stock that I got when a previous employer closed. I only know that it is aluminum and they used it in the shop for making small parts and brackets n stuff. One piece is 3/4x1", one is 1/2x2", & the other is 1 1/2"x 1 1/2". All are over 8' long. Is there any way to determine what kind of aluminum it is, or does it even matter? I have had it about 16 years in my shop and was thinking about either trying to sell some of it or maybe making a pen or 2 from it.
If I try to sell it I should probably know what grade it is and about what it is worth, but I don't know enough about it to figure that out. If I try to use some of it, well, I guess ill just try it and see. .) Any help would be much appreciated.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Its probably 6061 which is a very common aluminum alloy. Check out onlinemetals.com for retail pricing which should give you some idea of value. While not impossible, most aluminum pens are made from round stock.

Ed McDonnell

If you go to a junkyard that recycles aluminum, they might be able to do a quick test (with a niton gun) to determine what alloy you have. The amount they will offer you for the aluminum might almost cover your gas cost.

Without knowing the alloy, it's not worth a lot to someone. Alloy makes a big difference in welding, anodizing, machining and strength.

Here's a link to a DIY method for identifying aluminum alloy. I can't vouch for it, but it beats spending $700 for a chemical test kit that would allow you to do the testing yourself. See post #14.

Identifying Aluminum - Page 2

You can check prices for aluminum at online metal retailers (e.g. onlinemetals or speedymetals). There's a big difference between the various alloys, but overall aluminum is pretty cheap.

Ed

Top Bottom