AGE and Health ....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am getting old - I'll be 75 sooner than I'd like. In addition, I have developed some heart problems that will eventually require surgery that will have a pretty long recovery period and restricted lifting for some time after that.

In light of the above, I am going to shut down Smitty's Pen Works gradually over the next 6 to 12 months as my stocks are depleted.

I will try to keep parts available for sometime after that, since they don't require heavy lifting to handle.

As such I will be adjusting prices in the store on most items and will be closing out others.

I want to thank all of you who have made running this small business such a pleasure - I never made much money but I've had a lot of fun and money is only important when you don't have enough...and thanks to the Lord I've always had enough.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Sorry to hear about your health issues, I was just getting use to having you around. I hope things work out for you when it comes time to address those issues.

Last edited:

corian king

Smitty! Sorry to hear you are leaving the business but I do understand.I am also haveing some major health problems and don't know what the future holds for me either.You have always been a great standup type guy that was a pleasure to work with.keep in touch buddy..

RetiredJake

I haven't been around here very long, but what interactions I have had with you, have convinced me you are one of the good guys. Best of luck with this. You are in our prayers.

Jake

GaryMGg

Leroy
Thank you for all the good work you've done and the support you've provided to my program and all the other activites and individuals you've helped.
God bless you.

lorbay

Leroy, I am sorry to hear this about you. You have been a really good vendor to me, and I pray for a speedy recovery. I will miss Smitty's Pen works.

Lin.

renowb

Best to you Leroy. I hope you continue to be a part of the IAP. Get well and take care of yourself. It's been my pleasure doing business with you.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not Right Now

I had a test this week and get the results August 1st. Unless my Doctor tells me that I'm going to drop dead unless I have the Surgery immediately (And I don't expect that at all) I will be putting it off for at least 6 months.

Right now, I have lost 80 pounds, people would kill to get my heart rate and blood pressure,I am very active and I feel better than I have in years.

I have two valves not working well in my heart - the Aortic valve is sticking and the Mitral Valve is leaking...I have had both for a couple of years and they have been slowly getting worse. But I don't have any of the symptoms they describe. I swim 1200 meters 4 times a week and walk about 2 - 3 miles almost every day. On the super hot days it's usually only a mile.

Aside from feeling so good, my doctor tells me that it is a 3 month recovery process .... and to that I have to add at least a month because 1 - doctors are always optimistic on such things
2 - I just don't heal very fast, particularily cuts don't heal very fast.
So he's telling me that I (who don't feel sick now) will be sick for probably 4 months or so...then maybe a couple of months to get back to my normal activity.

I am just not anxious to do that and it's going to take some time to get used to the idea.

Last edited:

MarkD

Smitty, Sorry to hear of your health issues. I have enjoyed our interactions with your Pen Works. Wishing you the best of luck. You are in our prayers.

76winger

Sorry to hear about the heart issues Smitty, but it sounds like you've been doing your part with exercise to get yourself as healthy as possible. I'm not big on Doctors, but they come in handy when we've done all we can do on our own. God Bless and heal quickly!

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
Smitty, I have enjoyed you on this forum. You have been a God send for us that do pens for charities. May God bless and send you a speedy return to good health.......

keithlong

Will be praying for you. Take care of yourself and I appreciate all that you have done for all of us that do make pens for charities as well as for our service men and women.

t001xa22

Smitty, I would like to add my sentiments, too. I was one of the many lucky folks to have received a portion of your generosity to contribute to the efforts to make pens for the military folks. Because of your giving nature, there were many more pens that went out to those folks, and were made by willing turners that otherwise might have had difficulty affording the materials to do it. I know you share the same warm feelings about doing those things for our military folks as I and others do. For that, and for being a great vendor and IAP contributor, I humbly thank you, sir. I pray for your complete recovery.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty, I would like to add my sentiments, too. I was one of the many lucky folks to have received a portion of your generosity to contribute to the efforts to make pens for the military folks. Because of your giving nature, there were many more pens that went out to those folks, and were made by willing turners that otherwise might have had difficulty affording the materials to do it. I know you share the same warm feelings about doing those things for our military folks as I and others do. For that, and for being a great vendor and IAP contributor, I humbly thank you, sir. I pray for your complete recovery.
Thank you for your prayers. I try to do what I can for service men and women because it is the right thing to do. They go in harms way because their nation asks them to and whether we think the nation is right, wrong or indifferent in sending them, we still owe them - they are doing our bidding and deserve our support.

Smitty,
Sorry I missed this earlier... I'm about 4 younger than you and so far (knock on green wood.. raps to side of head) I'm in pretty good health... not over weight, blood pressure good and no heart problems yet... though it runs strong in the men of my family...on both sides of the family. Biggest problem I have is I get winded very quickly... not near as active as you... most I do is my own lawn once a week... just under a full acre and half of it at a 25-35% incline... it's like I have my own roller coaster when riding the lawn tractor.... I don't look forward to anytime in the future when I might follow the other men of the family and wind up under the knife... the idea scares me, but also all of the family that has had open heart surgery have all come through with flying colors and returned to normal activities pretty quickly... since you are as active as you say, I'm sure you will also do very well and we'll see you back on your feet and on the forum in short order.... we all will be giving you our best thoughts.

Justturnin

Smitty, I am sorry to hear about all of this that you are going through. You take care of you because you're the only you we have. God Bless you my friend. I am sad that Smitty's will be closing but I totally understand. You have offered a great product and are always fair. You have become my go to for kits, even though I don't buy many because 3 young daughters demand most to all of Daddy's time. Your a good man, ornery, but good and well respected. I hope you stick around the IAP community for a long time and continue to provide an insight that I have come to enjoy reading.

Jjartwood

Hey Smitty,
I'm still fairly new at this pen thing so our dealings were few,but I never felt that I had
to follow up on anything, I was comfortable that it would be right.
God gives us what we need not what we want.
Good men such as yourself are needed in this world.
Besides, without guys like you around IAP would be full of idiots like me!
Be Blessed

OldGrumpy

Please don't quit checking here regularly. You are one of those whose posts I always read. On the health front, my brother-in-law is recovering from similar surgery. He is just a kid of 68 but was nowhere in as good as your condition before surgery. Praying for a speedy recovery.

kronewi

Leroy, it is too bad that our bodiesdon't seem to want to keep up with our minds, desires and aspirations. I wish you the best of luck with your health problems and hope you can beat them down.

I also want to thank you. I first ran across you when you were selling mainly on eBay. Whether you know it or not you are the reason I decided to try penturning in the first place. You were selling a large variety of slim line pens and they were very reasonably priced. I decided give it a try, went out an bought a lathe, and have been hooked ever since. I have had several dealings with you over the years and all have been pleasant. You will be missed.

Longfellow

I am 80 years old and suffered 3 minie strokes this past October and while in the hospital I was scanned, poked and mauled by many medical,(??), people until they found other problems. I have since had a heart catherization and Carotid artery surgery. I am back in the shop everyday on a limited basis. I will be fine as long as I stay far from doctors. Hoping you have a successful outcome also.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am 80 years old and suffered 3 minie strokes this past October and while in the hospital I was scanned, poked and mauled by many medical,(??), people until they found other problems. I have since had a heart catherization and Carotid artery surgery. I am back in the shop everyday on a limited basis. I will be fine as long as I stay far from doctors. Hoping you have a successful outcome also.
That is encouraging - I pray that you continue to do well.

I was at my step fathers funeral - he died at 95 from Pneumonia that he got in the hospital when they did his hip replacement - he was still farming and running cattle a couple of months before he went in for the hip replacement... one of his friends was at the funeral and about his age... someone asked him he was doing... his answer... "I'm doing fine now that I've quite going to the doctors... "

Top Bottom