Advice for some resin and fabric blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Hey all,
I'm looking to have some fabric cast in clear resin. This fabric is special so I was thinking of ways to let the people know it's history.

I've thought about applying a decal or sticker to the fabric before casting but I'm not sure how that would turn out since the fabric is somewhat textured.

I've also thought about laser engraving the acrylic after it's turned and then filling the engraving with paint.

Has anyone laser engraved acrylic resin? If so, how does that work?

The fabric I have has lots of local history but it's very plain looking so I'm hoping to come up with something that would enhance the saleability of a pen made with this fabric.

Any other ideas I should consider?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I picked up some wood that was removed from the U.S.S.Constitution last month so what I'm planning to do is build a Classic Rollerball Pen. I'll use the wood from the ship for the pen and I'm casting a U.S. Postage Stamp with the ship on it for the cap. You didn't say anything about the fabric but maybe you can do something similar.

thewishman

Laser engraving resin works very well. That would be a great way to label the fabric. You can add any color to make it stand out or blend in. If you don't like the color, you can put a different color on top.

alankulwicki7

Thanks for the advice guys. The stamp idea is good but I'm not sure they ever made stamps of the building I got the fabric from. I will have to look into it....

When I get some blanks ready, I will try the laser engraving.

I hadn't thought of embroidery. That's a good idea so I will try that as well.

I'm hoping I can find something that works well and is cost effective. I'm hoping to make a bunch of pens out of this fabric and sell them the to a couple of retailers.

I will keep you posted!

Top Bottom