Advice on Cabide Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buckmark13

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

I'm interested in trying a carbide turning tool but have no idea on where to start as there are so many sizes and styles to choose from.

Any thoughts, opinions, and advice on what you've used and learned would be much appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I turn exclusively with carbide (although I do have two HSS parting tools). I am very happy with MagicBob's Magical Skew lineup. I have one of his Magical Skews, a diamond detailer and two scrapers. One with a square cutter installed and one with an R2 cutter installed. They are on sale right now. They can be found at http://www.penturners.org/forum/f350/black-friday-christmas-sale-157225/

I also have a set of Easy Wood Tools Mid size set (Rougher, detailer and finisher) and a set of Easy Wood Tool Hollowers. There is nothing that I have wanted to do that I haven't been able do with these tools.

studioseven

Hi BuckMark,

What are you using now? I am sure that you will get quite a few suggestions to your question but let me start. It would help knowing your budget. First look at our own Magic Bob under T Shadow and Company in our vendor forums. He (they) have a tool called the Deluxe Magical Skew for $90.00.

Also one of the big names in carbide cutters are the Easy Wood brand of carbide cutters. Craft supplies sells one dedicated solely for pen making. The Easy Wood Easy Pen tool. It lists for $89.99 at www.woodturners catalog.com

And last Penn State Industries has the Carbide Magic Pen Genie for $59.00. Probably a good entry level cutter to see if you like it.

There are many others and I hope no one is slighted for not mentioning them.

Good luck with your turning

Seven

Buckmark13

I'm using a basic set of Benjamin Best chisels now. As I mentioned, I'd like to try a carbide turning tool but didn't want to drop $100 on one to only find out the hard way there are ones that that are proven to be better, more widely accepted than others.

I've learned so much from the forum that I figured I'd get your collective opinions!

JimB

If you get one of those small 'pen turning' ones you will be very limited. They really are just for pens and other small spindles. If you plan to ever use them on something larger then a pen then get a bigger one.

hanau

I would recommend the 15 mm rougher on a 1/2" square bar and a 16 mm finisher on a 1/2" square bar. The square bar helps you keep the insert flat and square on the tool rest to the turning blank.

With the round bars you are able to change the angle of the carbide into the the piece you are turning.

These are the sizes I mainly turned with except I might also use the 12mm finisher.
There are a lot of different makers of the tools you would have to decided which is best for you.

Charlie_W

If possible, get with another Turner who has some of the carbide tools that you can try before you buy. You can check for local Woodturning clubs, AAW
(American Association of Woodturners) chapter clubs of perhaps a Woodcraft or Rockler store.

Good luck!

Brotherdale

I have the Easy Wood Tools, the Rockler and Johns tools (Hanau) at ncwooturningtools.com
Johns are good quality and very affordable.

gtriever

I have the Easy Start set, and one of MagicBob's Magic Skews. They work very well for pen turning and small spindles. If I did anything bigger, I can see where the Full-size set would be useful.

stonepecker

I recently got to try a Magic-Skew on my trip to Ohio. I found it very easy to use and a dream to cut with, once I learned how to use it. As an entry level tool for carbide cutting, I believe it was the best.
I also made one with a 3/8" square piece of stock and put a round cutter on it. Made my own handle and have found it to do great. Round cutter means less chance of catching your blanks.
Find what works the best for you......everyone is different. There is no one true way.

sbwertz

My husband took a set of pry bars from Harbor freight and made them into handles for carbide cutters. It allowed me to try them without breaking the bank.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-heavy-duty-pry-bar-set-69281.html

He cut off the pry end leaving a square steel shank with a handle on it. Then ground it and tapped it to hold a cutter. I later bought a round carbide tool and a diamond carbide tool to go with them. I still have one of the home made ones, but have given the others away to beginning turners so they could try them.

Dr_N

I also used the Easy Wood Tools mid set, and like it. I use the r2 cutter, and recently got a round cutter, but have not tried it yet.

I do not have, but would like to try the magical skew, as I've read a lot of positive feedback about it.

magnus-ember

I have the medium EWT set and the three hollowers. I like them overall. I mostly use the square cutter with the rounded corners for pen turning and I am planning to get the negative rake cutters eventually. However, I went to woodcraft today and was impressed with the Rikon set. They were nice and heavy, which would help to keep them stable.

magpens

In my opinion, the most useful carbide cutting tool has a round cutter about 11 or 12 mm in diameter ... any bigger is too big in my opinion.

Buckmark13

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestion, and especially Tony for the PM; tremendous group here!

So after much research and deliberation, I've decided to go a slightly different route and make my own. The journey, learning, and pride are more important to me than just buying a new tool.

So now a question has come up. My local HD and Lowes doesn't have 1/2 square steel. I've found a ton of online sources, but am now even more confused by the steel choices.

Any opinions on what steel is the easiest to machine? While I know it's not a lot, cutting the recess for the carbide cutter and tapping the screw hole is something I've realized makes or breaks the ease of the project. Having never done it, I figured you all would yet again steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance, as always!

hanau

When I first stared making the carbide tools. I was using 1/2" keystock to make them got it at Automotive Fasteners. Then eventually went to stainless.

If you want to make your own I can sell you the components and you can do your own milling , drilling and tapping the holes.
It will be stainless steel 1/2" square.

Buckmark13

When I first stared making the carbide tools. I was using 1/2" keystock to make them got it at Automotive Fasteners. Then eventually went to stainless.

If you want to make your own I can sell you the components and you can do your own milling , drilling and tapping the holes.
Thanks John! Unfortunately I just saw this and went ahead and bought a piece of square steel stock yesterday.

I did purchase one of your carbide tips last night as well, based on several recommendations I got here.

If this works and I don't blow a boat load on taps (something I've never done) I'll come back to you for the steel and more inserts to make others.

One quick question, what size screws do you send with the insert, and what's the corresponding drill and tap size?

Thanks,
Steve

hanau

Thanks John! Unfortunately I just saw this and went ahead and bought a piece of square steel stock yesterday.

I did purchase one of your carbide tips last night as well, based on several recommendations I got here.

If this works and I don't blow a boat load on taps (something I've never done) I'll come back to you for the steel and more inserts to make others.

One quick question, what size screws do you send with the insert, and what's the corresponding drill and tap size?

Thanks,
Steve

Sent you a message

Buckmark13

Thanks,
Steve

Sent you a message
Thanks again John and I appreciate all of the guidance! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Top Bottom