Acetone storage?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_pratt

A few weeks ago there was a thread that talked about how many of you have smaller plastic bottles (as opposed to the 1 quart bottles) that you keep certain fluids such as BLO, denatured alcohol, friction polish, etc in. Similiar to the one pictured here.

Given that acetone is used to clean CA off of bushings, et al, is it safe to keep Acetone in one if these small plastic bottles?

2005122904619_bottle.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Can't comment about that specific bottle. Your supplier is the place to ask. But for storage of solvents, an investment in bottles made from nalgene is the way to go. That material is resistant to everything except Griz breath. [:0] (sorry, I couldn't resist) [;)]

Texas Taco

My first thought/comment on the subject is NEVER STORE CHEMICALS IN AN UNLABELED BOTTLE! Check with the supplier <b><u>and</u></b> check the MSDS for information on storage of the chemicals.

I have been known to spend a little extra and buy a chemical from the supplier in smaller containers and then use that container for future storage of smaller amounts. This way the bottle/container is labeled and I know the container should be safe to use for it.

DWK5150

I agree with Tony on this one. At work someone put something in a unmarked bottle and someone else used it and ended up getting sprayed in the face with it. Not good cause we didnt know what it was and she ended up getting burned from it.

Mikey

Be careful with the plastic. Acetone normally comes in metal cans and has eaten away at any plastic I have ever touched with it. When I store Acetone, i either keep it in the metal can it came in, or I use a glass jar.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by Mikey
<br />Be careful with the plastic. Acetone normally comes in metal cans and has eaten away at any plastic I have ever touched with it. When I store Acetone, i either keep it in the metal can it came in, or I use a glass jar.
I wouldn't keep anything in glass in the shop. Use a metal can or the nalgene plastic. That's what I use in the lab at work. <h2><b>AND</b></h2> be sure to label it correctly so you know at a glance what's in the bottle.

Rifleman1776

<br />Be careful with the plastic. Acetone normally comes in metal cans and has eaten away at any plastic I have ever touched with it. When I store Acetone, i either keep it in the metal can it came in, or I use a glass jar.

Actually, the acetone I have comes in a plastic container.

Mikey

Well then Guess there is a plastic that does hold up. I buy my Acetone at Home Depot and other places and it was alwasy in a metal can.

I'm curious as to why no glass? Is that just because it's the shop and things can get bumped and knocked over?

M

Mudder

These are what I use.... six bucks a bottle but I find it worth it.

http://www.prdonline.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=52

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
<br />
I'm curious as to why no glass? Is that just because it's the shop and things can get bumped and knocked over?
I would say that's basically the reason. I hate picking up broken glass.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by kfandb
<br />DO NOT try to store it in a plastic bottle! It'll desolve it for sure!!
Steve K.
Not necessarily true. I store acetone in plastic bottles at work all the time. Just make sure that the plastic is rated for acetone, like the Nalgene bottles.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by kfandb
<br />DO NOT try to store it in a plastic bottle! It'll desolve it for sure!!
Steve K.

Aren't these plastic?

wash1.JPG

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />Hey Mudder! Can you get us a group buy discount on some of those wash bottles?[:p][?][:D]

I never thought of it. When I buy them for work form our clean room supplier I pay almost $11.00 each. When I wanted some for the shop I bought 2 of each for $6.00 a piece. I don't think there would be any group discounts in these. Just wanted to pass on some info to the group.

rtparso

Somewere I have a link to a better chart but Cole-Parmer has a good compatibility aplication. I ran acetone and got the following info. I you look on the bottom of the a plastic bottle it will state the plastic type.
http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/ChemComp.asp?from=home
Materials and their compatibility with your selected chemical are listed below:

Material Compatibility
304 stainless steel A-Excellent
316 stainless steel A-Excellent
ABS plastic D-Severe Effect
Acetal (Delrin®) A-Excellent
Aluminum A-Excellent
Brass A-Excellent
Bronze A-Excellent
Buna N (Nitrile) D-Severe Effect
Carbon graphite A-Excellent