Accepting Credit Cards Using an Android Phone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I had an iPhone and Android, but new job, and now have two Androids (which I happen to like better). Anyway, I am attending a show (probably just one a year and do sell pens casually from the house) and want to accept credit cards via my Android. Any recommendation for hardware and services? Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

You can get a thingy for swiping cards or using the chip. I have a Pay Pal account and understand that I can get the same type of setup from them. Will be contacting PP for details. Good luck with the show(s). We have some craft shows in this area next spring. Looking to get details. Wife feels flea markets aren't the best marketplace for custom pens. I agree.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Square works great as long as you have reception or wifi. Without either, you can accept cards, but you have no way of knowing if the card is good until you get reception. No charge unless you run cards. Great for months with no shows. I believe it is 2.75% per charge.

Larryreitz

I also use Square with an Android phone and am happy with the service. One word of caution. I have had issues with the chip reader and lost a large sale to an impatient customer last summer because it was dead and I had no way of knowing it. Tried the swiper function on the combo chip/swipe reader and it would not work either. A fully charged reader typically does not get me through the day. On my last show I went back to the swipe only reader (no charge required) and had absolutely no issues.

Larry

TonyL

Thanks all. And thanks for telling me what can go wrong too. Have a great one folks!

TonyL

I also use Square with an Android phone and am happy with the service. One word
of caution. I have had issues with the chip reader and lost a large sale to an
impatient customer last summer because it was dead and I had no way of knowing
it. Tried the swiper function on the combo chip/swipe reader and it would not
work either. A fully charged reader typically does not get me through the day.
On my last show I went back to the swipe only reader (no charge required) and
had absolutely no issues.

Thank you Larry. Aren't some credit cards chip only?

hilltopper46

with the square swipe reader, will it still work with chipped cards.

Yes, Square accepts swiped cards with the swipe reader, but there is a higher risk to you the seller if you do not use the chip reader on a chip card. I don't have the details in front of me but it is something to the effect that if you have a fraudulent charge on a chip card reader, Square absorbs it, but if you have a fraudulent charge on a swiped card it's back on you.

nava1uni

I have done craft fairs for years and used Square since it came out. I have used it with chip cards with no problem. You can also get a chip reader which works using bluetooth and works just great

Mr Vic

If you swipe a chip card using Square you become liable if it's fraudulent. But you can do it. I had the PayPal as a backup to my Square and after a year of non use the canceled me. Here in Colorado the offline function is great. You can't always get phone reception in some of the rural areas.

Also the Square will now accept uploading you Items (inventory) direct from and excel file. I use Serial Numbers to make my sales and it works great.

Last edited:
Tony, if you have an ETSY store you can also get a card reader from ETSY that works fine... it will also work with your inventory on each sale and reduce it by the sale... ETSY also takes the risk on any chip cards... I use mine every show.

eharri446

Tony, some cards do have chips and if you go to a store like Home Depot or Lowes, you will be required to insert your card into the chip reader. Some stores have devices with chip readers, however they have not converted their systems over to use them so everything uses the swipe.

Chip readers are more secure, however, they can sometimes take longer to process than those that swipe only.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I spend a lot at Lowe's and you can swipe the CC or use the chip. Dairy Queen (five buck lunch is popular with us; upgrade the sundae to a mini Blizzard for a buck) still doesn't have the chip reader in operation.

Top Bottom