ACC classes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scoutharps

Well, I've been off for the last two weeks. Took a class at the Appalachian Craft Center from Graeme Priddle. Crazy Kiwi, but a fabulous turner. He's into bowls rather than spindle work such as pens, but it was well worth it! Made my own branding iron out of a battery charger as well!

Due to budgetary constraints, I opted to camp in my tent at Edgar Evins State Park, about 14 miles down the road. It's VERY hilly--the near vertical kind--so the campsites are actually large wooden decks. But each site has its own water and electric, so I was set. During the week in June, I'd say it is pretty deserted, if you are looking peace and quiet. Of course, I did get burgled--by a raccoon after my chocolate chip cookies! And somewhere that week I got what we think was a black widow bite. OK now, but the trip to the ER was not fun, and the antibiotics have really taken it out of me. I'm just now starting to feel decent again.

Long and short, if you have ever considered taking a class there, go for it! Great set up, great support staff, great teachers. Food is good, lodging available there at the center or elsewhere. And I came home with several bowls, some roughed out blanks and lots more knowledge than I came with!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scoutharps

I am willing to try to post pictures--I'm still figuring out how to do so. Basically, it is a car battery charger that we opened up, and added a light dimmer switch to--the round kind that you twist to make the lights go up or down. Then we cut off the clip things that go to the battery posts, made a handpiece out of PVC pipe, wood, wire and fittings, and used NiChrome wire to make the brand, which can be changed out as needed. So far, I've got a celtic trinity symbol, a spral and a treble clef--that one is actually two brands superimosed, you can't cross over. And the Trinity symbol is one brand but you have to make 3 passas with it for each.

DocStram

Okay, Valerie .... now I definitely want to see pictures. This sounds way interesting.

BTW, how much of a "dental professional" are you? Have you met our "resident dentist"?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I read about that center in some literature I ordered . Thanks for the report . I'm glad you're recovering from that bite . I'll be watching for photos too . [^]

scoutharps

I'm a Certified and Registered Dental Assistant--the REAL kind, DANB (all three tests), TN jurisprudence, the works. Technically, I'm no longer DANB certified, because I don't have the money for the dues, not because I don't have the Continuing Ed. I'm also certified in Nitrous oxide Monitering, Coronal Polishing and Sealants, and of course, CPR and AED. That is all that I can get in TN.

I'll take the pictures, the try to figure out how to post them. I owe you guys some pen pictures too!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Graeme is a great turner! And to the plus side, an amazingly giving and caring human being. If you get a chance ever to see him, dont hesitate to go, just go and see him!

jtate

Ditto about the wonderfulness of classes at ACC.

Here is a link to photos of the class I just finished at ACC with Ray Key.

You can see some of the woodshop in these pics.

scoutharps

Good shots! Did you meet Mike and John? I hope you had some of that homemade coconut ice cream as well.

I'm hoping to get back next summer if I can convince my boss that the week I'm interested in won't be too busy at the office. Nick Cook is coming.

jtate

I did meet Mike and John! John gave me some lovely elk antler. I'll be making him a pencil from it and other wonderful stuff for myself.

My class was with Ray Key - he's great!

DocStram

Good shots! Did you meet Mike and John? I hope you had some of that homemade coconut ice cream as well.

I'm hoping to get back next summer if I can convince my boss that the week I'm interested in won't be too busy at the office. Nick Cook is coming.

When I first started turning I spent a day with Nick Cook in his shop.

Top Bottom