about "proud"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

Frequently when pens are posted in either 'show off' or 'critiques' we will see comments that the wood "seems proud at...". I don't make those comments because I have come to the conclusion that the photography and results of the posted image often, maybe ususally, make the pen wrongfully look 'proud' at points where they join hardware. Today, is a good example Lou (DCBluesman) has posted a very fine Irish bog pen. From the pictures, to me, the lower barrel looks proud at both where it joins the center band and the nib. From this forum, we know that Lou would not boast on a pen that was the least bit 'proud' anywhere. My personal Baron gives the appearance of being 'proud' at a couple spots and for reassurance, I frequently give it the fingernail test. Not proud. My theory is that the dark wood meeting up with a shiny metal surface creates the illusion of a difference in mating surfaces. Methinks, IMHO, that unless a 'proud' defect is unquestionably blatant, such comments be used very judiciously.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Frank, feel free to consider this a gloat if you like. The pen is definitely finished to Lou's exacting standards. I just keep wondering if my daughter deserves such a pen.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Frank--point VERY well made. I've taken the liberty of copying some of the pens into PhotoShop where I could magnify them and found many to be quite precise. An example is Sawdustier's recent post in the critiques forum. The fit looks magnificent under magnification.

And William, I'd better not hear that she doesn't get that pen! [:p]

mick

I noticed the pic I posted yesterday of the Black and White acrylic looked proud at the nib....I can assure you it wasn't as I can't even feel a joint there. I noticed this on several pens I've posted and on some posted by others. Sometimes it can be seen upon looking closer that it's not proud at all and at other times I haven't a clue, so I'm like Frank, I never comment on someone's pen being proud...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom