41 Years ago today!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Man how time flies! 41 years ago today, I left for the U.S. Army! Drafted at 19 years old. Went to Ft Polk for Basic and Tigerland to train for Vietnam. On the good side, 39 years ago, I got out! Where did all those years go?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Lar

Time does fly. I was just finishing college and was in the first draft lottery.
Thank you for your service!

OldGrumpy

Thanks for your service. I was of that generation but was fortunate to miss Nam. Many friends went - some never made it back. Of those who returned many still carry the scars Thanks again.

paintspill

do me a favor, next time you hear a 19 year old complain about how hard they have it, smack him for me. hearing war stories always makes me realize how little my generation has done. i commend you all.

ironman123

41 Years ago today

Still seems like a time warp after returniung home from Nam.. Nothing hardly was the same. Old places gone new places in their spot and most of all, general public was so different. Glad I came home.

I appreciate every Veteran, wartime, peacetime.

Ray

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

Seems like my spouse and I were changing diapers on #1 and #2 daughters and waiting the arrival of #3 and #4 (but we didn't know a. that they were daughters or b. that there were two of them). It is close to 52 years since I got my first civilian job after getting out of the Navy.

Robert111

Thank you for your service, Bill. I had many friends a little younger than I who served there, two who didn't come back and one who spent 2 years as a POW in the same facility with McCain.

OKLAHOMAN

41 years ago was going through divorce of wife # one and looking for Dee, found her and been happy ever since..

Rick_G

41 years ago I was in the Canadian Air Force at Greenwood N.S. trying to figure out how to save a few pennies so I could take my wife out for our 4th anniversary. Twenty days from now I have to do it again for our 45th. Now it's not so much the pennies but where to find a decent seafood dinner.
Thanks for your service and for making me think about how long ago it was.

carpblaster

I wish to thank everyone who served in any branch of the service,and the ones still in,Got out in 1985 seems like yesteday,first tour was Anchorage Alaska,loved it wish i could live there,best thing came from Alaska was my wife from Texas, now 2 kids, 7grandkids and one going on 8th year in navy,To all the loved ones who have to stay behind,God Bless you also,it makes it easier to realize what your in fighting for all our safety and loved ones at home, Come home Safely my son and all others
carpblaster

dogcatcher

Ft Polk's Tigerland, everyone needs an 8 week tour of Tigerland. I had the opportunity to do it twice, once as a recruit and the last time as Drill Instructor. 1967 and 1968, sometimes it seems like yesterday, some good memories, and some bad.

Welcome Home!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Peacetime

I served in Peacetime....1955 to 1959. Nothing but a couple of minor incidents .... the Brits, French and Israeli invaded Suez. The Hungarians arose against Russia and the Russians invaded them. We actually landed troops in Lebonon. We had a half dozen or so incidents with Recon Planes getting shot at or shot down. Everytime a submarine got spotted in the Atlantic Ocean some tin can or tin cans went to play cat and mouse with it. But, never-the-less it was peacetime.

I mention that only because there has been so little of what we call "peace" in the last 60 years and it represents that to our servicemen there isn't a whole lot of difference between peace and war. If there is harms way to send them to our politicians will send them regardless of whether it's peacetime or during war. We owe the young folks we send a lot.

As a bonus a ship named the MSTS Haiti Victory tried to chop about 30 or 40 feet off the back end of the destroyer I was serving on (while we were underway) - almost succeeded too.

Top Bottom