4-5 yr old Jet 1014VS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

I am trying to finish a large number of baseball bat pens when my I flip the on/off switch to off and it does not stop with out a lot of wiggling the switch on and off. I am thinking from reading the other post that my issue is only a defective switch but I know all too well how wrong my thinking can be. Should I be replacing the cap with the switch as so that the units recommend certain parts should be replaced together. Or am I up in the night. I am getting ready to do some pens for troops and would like my lathe to be able to handle making 50 pens. Thanks for any and all advice tat you can give me so that I can get to work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Mike, before I would start replacing parts, I believe I would blow out the switch with some compressed air. There is a lot of fine dust and junk floating around our lathes and switches are not all that well sealed. Unplug the lathe ans apply the air anywhere it can get into the switch itself and flip the toggle as teh air is applied. Hopefully the dirt will be moved out and everything will work OK. If that does not fix the problem, from what I have read, the switch is a fairly easy swap out.
Charles

Woodlvr

I did blow out the switch box as well as possible. I am thinking of taking the cover off tomorrow and cleaning a little better if possible. The switch feels a little spongy so it might be wearing out. Thanks for the tips. I do not want to tear it apart anymore than possible until I am sure what is wrong.

SteveG

This switch is a common failure item and Jet will send you another under warranty (5 year warranty). The switch actually fails internally, it is not just saw dust. You can find a replacement locally also, or plug the lathe into a power strip (using it as a temporary switching device) until you get the replacement in.

This switch is a common failure item and Jet will send you another under warranty (5 year warranty). The switch actually fails internally, it is not just saw dust. You can find a replacement locally also, or plug the lathe into a power strip (using it as a temporary switching device) until you get the replacement in.

The switch is a multi part switch... the actual contact is made when you flip the switch lever and it moves a little "rocker" arm from one contact to an open contact... it's really simple to pull the switch out, open it up and make sure the rocker hasn't slipped out of it's pivots... a couple of years back I though I had a motor problem with my 1014... called Jet and bought another motor... when I put it in, I pulled the switch and discovered the rocker had done just that... probably didn't need the motor.

I have the same problem with my table saw... it uses the same type of switch... about every 3-6 months I have to pull it out, clean out the sawdust and reset the rocker into the pivot points.

Baring that, contact a local electrical outlet and show them the switch they can probably match it with a new one that will work... I had to do that with my dust collector... that switch actually shorted out and burned the contacts to the point I had to replace it... just got one from the local electrical outlet and was back up and running in a day.

First advice from SteveG is right on though... Jet's warranty is pretty good and they will get a switch to you in about a week.

Last edited:

low_48

It's the toggle switch on the variable speed box right? I went to the hardware store and got a replacement. It seemed like a better switch than Jet uses, but now it seems to be acting a little funny after several years. Just another cost of heavy use. You read about Delta switch issues all the time as well. So it's just not Jet.

It's the toggle switch on the variable speed box right? I went to the hardware store and got a replacement. It seemed like a better switch than Jet uses, but now it seems to be acting a little funny after several years. Just another cost of heavy use. You read about Delta switch issues all the time as well. So it's just not Jet.

I think Delta and Jet uses the same design on their switches... my table saw is a Delta and about every 3-6 months I have to pull the switch out, blow the sawdust out (don't know why they put the switch box inside the housing ... and it's supposed to be a closed switch box), reset the rocker/toggle in the pivot points and everything works fine until it gets full of sawdust again.... the Jet switch on my 1014 is the same type of switch... only had one problem with it (so far)... The switch on the motor of my Dust Collector from Harbor Freight was also the same type of switch... only it shorted when the rocker/toggle popped out of the pivots... but I have it in a closet outside the shop and plugged into a switchable socket in the closet... the switch is a regular toggle switch for lights etc.. and on the wall above the work bench... I can turn the DC on from inside the shop, so just leave the switch on the motor in the "on" position.

Top Bottom