3D printing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I like to play around and experiment with technology and science. I got a 3-D printer to see how they work. As it turns out, not well :frown: The size of objects that can be printed is rather small, on the order of an 8 to 12 inch cube. It can take hours to print a large or complicated item. Multi color printing is difficult too.

I recently saw a video of a new type of printer called a hang printer. It can create objects that are feet in size, but likely to take many hours to create.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

Depending on the amount you spend on the printer, you can get anything from trinkets and toys to precision machine parts and precious metal jewelry from them.

My experience with them a few years ago is that they, the affordable class personal and business ones, are still too low a resolution to give good results in pen making.

However, a lower end one is a good thing to practice on and learn the 3D CAD programs if you are new to them, nothing like even simple stuff made for the fun of it to encourage more productive study to learn various ways to apply them.

Marmotjr

I've had prints take upto 22 hours, depending on detail level, size, and infill.

The general public and media make 3d printing out to be some magical technology. It's not when you start to learn more about it.

There are printers of a variety of sizes and methods of fabrication. Some use a photo sensitive resin to form layers, some use melted filament. I've seen a printer the size of a shipping container produce a working, driveable car. There are other printers out there that can print whole houses in place, and then move onto the next work site.

Anything you find for the home use, you usually won't find beyond 8 in cubed, maybe 10-12 if you go real big. Even the bigger ones that can do 24 in (ex) in one direction, can only do 6-8 in another.

There's actually a fairly steep learning curve to get really good at it.

Penultimate

Check out the Carbon 3D printer. For a desktop it does a nice job.
Not as good as a $200K SLA but I would be upset if that was the case. I bought an SLA and an FDM machine for work. Our FDM has a print envelope of 14"x14x16.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Talltim

We have the cr 10 and have been very happy with it. Size wise it has about done everything we have needed to print. We've made things from dust collection connectors to racing drones.

Getting ready to print a rotary jig for our neje laser, so we will have it when it arrives. Should be able to print one for a couple of dollars and some fiddle time.

The low end ones can't do everything but they can do a lot of fun things. (Just like the low end lasers.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom