3D printing...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi folks,

OK so, we have discussed laser printers and its uses for working with pens and other stuff but I wonder if anyone on IAP does have a 3D printer and what they use it for.

I'm amazed at how 3D printing has developed this last decade and how cheap some of these printers are, sure, they are not all the same and quality normally comes with a price tag but I still wonder what useful things people make with them...!

If you have any knowledge on this use, please let us hear it...!

Thank you,

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

I have a anet8 bought the kit off ebay it was around $160 shipped. Took me about 8 hrs watching a 45 min video to put it together.
Haven't found a good use for it yet, but have a few ideas.Just have to figure out how to design the item.

If I decide to upgrade I will look at the Prusa i4

Attachments

• 20170205_185622.jpg
    20170205_185622.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20170212_182335.jpg
    20170212_182335.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 20170218_155246.jpg
    20170218_155246.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 137
  • 20170218_203546.jpg
    20170218_203546.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 135

Talltim

We have a 3D printer and have made a number of things for our shop with it. We have printed things from custom connectors for our dust collection system to Morris taper inserts to press pens in our lathe to our blank center finder.

It is not an answer to all issues but it is fun to "make your own when you can."

As far as the design part is concerned, that is where having a 15 yr old son with a laptop helps.

Last edited:

RobS

I have a Robo3D R1, I used it for form/ergonomic testing of new designs. I also have made a lot of fixtures, and low load clamp mechanisms. I design everything in Solidworks, which is a Mechanical Engineering Design tool, there are student versions available for $150 a year. Or you could use Google Sketch up, just depends on how complex your designs are.

I've also printed a lot of kids toys.

Cheers
RobS

Mach4

I've got a Prusa i3 and have printed lots of stuff. For penmaking I designed and printed a center finder and holders for pen engraving. I've made the following

Tool post holder brackets
Dial indicator holder for quick change tool post
Gas cap
Binocular lens bezel for mounting material to look at upcoming eclipse
Caps for injector pump storage
Figit spinners
Lego light switch plate
Ant bait holders
Spare parts for the Prusa
Box for electronics to control mill coolant
Coffee tamper forms for laying up carbon fiber
Coffee tamper
Emergency release handles
Fan shroud for motor cooling
Stepper motor covers
Swarf covers for flex couplers
Visor clips for the car
....and the list goes on

For design Fusion 360 is the way to go...free for hobiests and a great package. Also good for CAM for lathe and mill.

sbwertz

My grandsons have one. When I was there they made me a little jig to hold pens while being engraved in the laser engraver. They have made lots of stuff, but the latest is a drone. My oldest grandson got the kit for Christmas. Apparently the kit has the motors, rotors, etc and the plans to make the body with the printer.

robutacion

I have a anet8 bought the kit off ebay it was around $160 shipped. Took me about 8 hrs watching a 45 min video to put it together.
Haven't found a good use for it yet, but have a few ideas.Just have to figure out how to design the item.

If I decide to upgrade I will look at the Prusa i4

Hi John,

I need to stress/clarify what I said about the price of 3D printers in our days being so cheap, I'm talking specifically of the Chinese made stuff because any 3D printers made outside Asia cost an arm and a leg, for instance, a small 3D printer made in Australia costs no less than AU$3,500, the same type and size printer from China will cost under AU$500 and as low as AU$200 so, there has to be a difference somewhere and the most obvious is the material quality and QC which continues to be terrible.

I have read recently some fairly good reviews about the Anet 8 and the price is a killer but being a kit with hundreds of pieces, is not something for everybody but when put together well, it seems to do a fair job.

Filaments here in OZ are about AU$40 to AU$70 and that is quite expensive particularly if you want to print fair size parts that are not hollow inside.

Cheers
George

robutacion

Thank you also to everybody else that posted so far, I have no doubt that having young brains in the house is a great help for creating and preparing the files for the printer, that I have no doubts what so ever.

You guys mentioned a few printers that I'm not familiar with, another thing I found out is that from China, the same printer comes with different names for different buyers and that can be confusing...!

Some of you have already found many and great uses for a 3D printer, congrats...!

The printing is easy but, creating your own designs accurately is where the difficulty lies, the same goes for CNC and laser printers.

From what I read, the CR10 printers seem to be the talk of the forum, those that got them seem to be super happy and those that want to own one are all on a long backorder waiting list.

The prices the guys are saying they paid for the CR 10's seem to be a big chunk lower than what they ask for now which in Oz dollars is about AU$650 upwards. :eek:

But, and from what I read, the big discussion at the moment is in regards to the Anet E10 that is a design copy and colors of the CR10 a lot smaller and with lower quality parts. They are new and only a few reviews have been made and almost all negative in some ways, I believe the reactions have been caused by the Anet use of the hippo the CR 10 is having and the fact that, they (different company) haven't had any CR 10's for same for quite awhile, was this done deliberately..? that is the question that has enraged many people.

Cheers
George

Talltim

.....another thing I found out is that from China, the same printer comes with different names for different buyers and that can be confusing...!

Well it is a good thing we do not have that issue with pen kits. [emoji849]

We have the CR10 and have been very happy with the quality. It takes s little fiddling on occasions but it seems they all do.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have 2, a B9 and a Solus. Both are DLP printers that use Resin hardened by UV light to make the model. I use them for making custom parts with Logos or other designs to be either directly cast into parts or to make a silicone rubber mold of for production. The detail and resolution are incredible.

robutacion

I have 2, a B9 and a Solus. Both are DLP printers that use Resin hardened by UV light to make the model. I use them for making custom parts with Logos or other designs to be either directly cast into parts or to make a silicone rubber mold of for production. The detail and resolution are incredible.

Oh boy, those printers are damn expensive, they basically made for small stuff but the print quality I saw is mind boggling...!

I would consider those very specialized and specific printers, right...?

The world of 3D printing is huge and growing...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom