3d printed pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwhatch

I have been away for awhile, made a couple of pens by request, but not real active due to other interests but I have always had pen turning on my mind.

Recently I have been working with a couple of 3d printers and have had the idea of printing pen blanks. I did not want to do it with just one color because that may not make anything special so I have been working with the Mosaic Palette, a filament splicer that will let you print up to 4 colors with a single extruder printer.

I used 2 colors on this example and printed the blank like a solid piece of plastic. I make it in a hex shape to facilitate the turning process. I turned it down just like any other blank and used the CA finish. I like the way it came out, though I need to work on fine tuning the printing process.

I know they will never be as pretty as the wood turned pens, but I think there is a lot of potential for customizing with simple graphic design, lettering, etc. Maybe not, but I am going to pursue this further.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 466

mecompco

That is awesome! I have access to a Makerbot 5th gen and have wondered if making pen blanks would be feasible. I'd love to hear more about splitting filament--that is a nice effect.

Top Bottom