2019 Chicagoland MPG Segmenting Demo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I am presenting a slideshow/discussion on segmented pens at the MPG in April. I will plow through 118 slides in about 30 minutes, then have another 20 minutes for questions. These are the designs that I'll show how to construct. I will also be hiding out in the hands-on room, and am more than willing to chat and trade ideas. For those attending, if you have any questions, PM me and I'll make sure to address it.

THE GAME PLAN

1. Design Considerations

2. Simple Brick Chevron

attachment.php

3. Variable Brick Chevrons

attachment.php

4. Chevron Finials

attachment.php

5. Arrow Chevrons

attachment.php

6. 360 Wave Chevrons

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
So no actual demonstration just a discussion?

I'll have the "pieces to the puzzles" which will be passed around. I suspect watching me cut slices, glue up a block, pair the chevrons, etc... is better presented in a slide show. These blanks take 2-3 days from start to finish, so in a 50 minute demo, I could "demo" one maybe two steps. In the hand's on room, more detailed examination of the pieces is certainly possible.

mg_dreyer

We are pleased that Mark will be doing both a Main Room presentation and the side room hands-on. We are working out the details for timing of the hands-on. Mark came out to the Chicago Chapter of IAP and did a demo for us. It was fantastic. These two are cannot miss.

Thanks Mark for coming out - I look forward to your presentations.

This is going to be fun ...

wood128

Great idea Mark, you should do very well. I am really impressed with your chevron segmenting designs and the willingness to share and teach others.
My favorite design of yours is the Wavy Chevron ......many possibilities of different wood / veneer there for you to produce more beautiful blanks. Wish I could be there for the meeting. Take care.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just a quick clarification--Mark and all our demonstrators are NOT paid, not even for their expenses. They do this strictly as a service to their fellow penturners!!

We are EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for their generosity and willingness to share techniques!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just a quick clarification--Mark and all our demonstrators are NOT paid, not even for their expenses. They do this strictly as a service to their fellow penturners!!

We are EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for their generosity and willingness to share techniques!!

Whoa Nellie...

I'm not getting paid ?????

(Just poking. As Mark D knows, this will be the best day of my life)

Darley

this why I mentioned if Mark can organize a E-video ( download version ) at a small price to recoup a bit of is time maybe with a little donation to the IAP in the price .
I will buy it and I think some would too to see how the blank is made

As you know people buying Gisi DVD, I did bought some Evideo from another pen turner who did 3 videos to download from his website at $ 15 each, got the 3 of them very nice and he sell a lots

As I say food for though , and I think is fair for Mark
any question ask me

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

this why I mentioned if Mark can organize a E-video ( download version ) at a small price to recoup a bit of is time maybe with a little donation to the IAP in the price .
I will buy it and I think some would too to see how the blank is made

As you know people buying Gisi DVD, I did bought some Evideo from another pen turner who did 3 videos to download from his website at $ 15 each, got the 3 of them very nice and he sell a lots

As I say food for though , and I think is fair for Mark
any question ask me

G'Day Serge,

I am not sure if the MPG will be videotaped. Irregardless, all kidding aside, in no respect would I have any interest in being reimbursed for any costs related to doing the sessions.

I do fully support any possibility for the MPG committee to pursue this for their benefit for future symposiums.

I am using a Mac, and can easily make copies of the presentation slide show on a thumbdrive? If anyone is interested in that that is feasible. I do not know how this would be accessed on a Windows machine? My wife has a windows, so I'll play with it this week and see if it will transfer.

I appreciate the thought Serge, but this will be purely a pleasure trip. I have two sons in Chicago, and my wife, brother and sister-in-law are travelling with me and we are staying an extra 3 days to see the sites.

mg_dreyer

There will be no videotaping of sessions. The MPG has a long standing tradition of being a great pen turning event, as well as a great social event. Meet people, share ideas and make friendships - as well as, great vendors, demonstrators and activities. I have met some very good friends - Mark James being included in this list - that I would not have if I did not attend.

Look forward to seeing everyone again.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Mark,

Those pens are Masterful. The 360 is absolutely amazing. Anyone can stumble into a masterful pen once in a while, but to be able to repeat it shows the real skill level. Thank you for your work and for sharing it.

Looking forward to seeing what the Chicagoland meetings holds in store - from the postings here online.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
And I sincerely hope that everyone understood my post #8 was a friendly joke/poke to Ed, Mark and John. Sometimes online comments made in jest don't always come across as a friendly exchange, but it was certainly made in fun.

To be honest, it is an honor to be included as a presenter. I don't take myself too seriously, and my penturning skills even less so. If there is anything I can share that others value - that's quite a compliment in itself.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually John, Mark and I are currently in a text exchange, so I can say with certainty, We all know you Mark!!! All of us knew you were "pulling our chain"!!

As always, we are all looking forward to getting together again!!!

Top Bottom