2017 Donation Drawing Thoughts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Good Saturday to you all, my friends,

We've had some incredible Bash Donation Drawings over the years. For those not familiar, our annual February Anniversary Bash is not just a big party, it's our annual fundraiser. As a small token of our appreciation, anyone who makes a $50 donation during the Bash gets a commemorative mug and entry into our drawing (a free entry method is always provided as well for those unable to donate...) We'll be starting this whole process soon, so stand by :biggrin:

From just 10 donated prizes in 2005, we peaked at 42 prizes for our 10th in 2014. The drawing was originally intended as a small thank-you, it was never intended to be the point of donating. However, given that in some years we've had nearly $5000 in drawing prizes awarded, it has grown to be a cornerstone of the Bash.

We try to make the average prize value >$100, and to do that we've depended on high value donations from large and small vendors, as well as some very generous individuals. If you look back at some of the prior drawings (search my threads for "Donation Drawing" in the title), you'll see what I mean.

For various reasons, donations of higher value prizes are down this year. I believe one reason is that there is some "donation fatigue" from some of the larger manufacturers and vendors. They have generously provided prizes for MPG, MAPG, etc., and there are, very understandably, limits to what they can provide. This year, the overall prize list is a bit thin, and given that we try to provide nice pen contest prizes, there will be fewer prizes than usual for the Donation Drawing. That has happened before, and we've been able to purchase some prizes to round out the drawing, but that is getting more difficult as well with the increasing cost of postage, packaging, and the cost of our donation premiums.

Sorry to be long-winded, here's the bottom line! The 2017 Donation Drawing will be smaller than prior years. If you depend on that as a motivation for donating, I completely understand if that affects your desire to do so. My hope is that we can have 10 nice prizes. Perhaps a side benefit is that we can return to the idea that the drawing is just a fun little thank-you for supporting our community.

If you are a vendor or manufacturer and you'd like to donate an item, please contact [profile=mredburn]Mike Redburn[/profile]

Thanks for reading!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
My sincere apologies for not being able to scrummage for prizes this year, Jeff...my job has been insanely busy, and I feel rather disappointed that I wasn't able to help out.

Andrew - banish that thought! Although your help is always outstanding, I believe this is one of those cyclical things that we would have experienced no matter what.

bobleibo

For what its' worth....
I sat in the background and lurked for almost 2 years before I actually joined the IAP. During that time and well beyond, I read everything I could digest about making pens. To make it even better, along with it came an unexpected wealth of additional information about woodworking, turning and resources to further my skills.
For me, the donation drawing is just a way to give a little bit back for all of the lessons I could never put price on. The prizes whether they are small, large or non-existent are the proverbial icing on the cake and just make things a little more fun.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
And for those of you reading, it's never too late to donate! If you have an unused chuck, hollowing tool, gift certificate, etc - please feel welcome to donate a lovely prize to your fellow pen turners!

This forum is a collective - and it's made possible by generous donations by viewers like you! :biggrin: (aside: I've been watching PBS this morning - "Mexico, one plate at a time" is wonderful!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The existence of the IAP is a "prize" that every member has already won. Every time a person logs on they win the knowledge of new ideas and techniques. They make new friends. They come to realize that they are part of an international, penturning family. The physical prizes are great! I like winning something as well as anybody. But I know I am not alone when I say, Prizes? We don't need no stinking prizes" as motivation to support the IAP. As Bob said, prizes are the icing on the cake!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I don't care what happens, but if I don't get my well deserved Drill Doctor this time around, then there's gonna be hell to pay....!!!!:mad:

Ok, the drawing is great fun, but heh, everyone is feeling the pinch.
It may be controversial, but perhaps if we ditched the vendor bashing Jeers forum, they may be more generous. We are all adults, if you are not happy with the service either vote with your feet or speak to them.

As always, just MY opinion...:wink:

Dale Lynch

I have a decades seasoned slab of black walnut 3x8x40" that I could cut up into bowl and peppermill blanks if you want.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
If you are a vendor or manufacturer and you'd like to donate an item, please contact [profile=mredburn]Mike Redburn[/profile]

Thanks for reading!!

Last suggestion, I promise:wink:

I actually mentioned this a couple of years ago. But please don't think that it's ONLY vendors or manufacturers ( wots the diff? ) that may be willing to donate a very decent prize .
There are many common and garden members here that like to promote the hobby if they are able. If they are not included in the call for prizes, or excluded by the wording of the request, then they may be detered....:wink:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks for reading!!

Last suggestion, I promise:wink:

I actually mentioned this a couple of years ago. But please don't think that it's ONLY vendors or manufacturers ( wots the diff? ) that may be willing to donate a very decent prize .
There are many common and garden members here that like to promote the hobby if they are able. If they are not included in the call for prizes, or excluded by the wording of the request, then they may be detered....:wink:

Vendors are those who sell stuff. Maybe they make it maybe they don't. Manufacturers make the stuff.

We've been soliciting prizes from anyone who wishes to donate. Dozens of members give generously every year. I did not mean my comment in the post above directed at vendors or manufacturers to deter anyone and I apologize to anyone who took it that way.

Cmiles1985

There's a donation drawing?!? I thought I won that every year I donated by receiving a stellar mug!

Of course, there's some implied sarcasm: I know there's a drawing. I could care less if I win a prize; I enjoy that I can afford to support the community through a monetary donation (the commemorative mug is a yuge plus) and through prize donations for individual contests. If it weren't for this site, I may have never ventured into pen turning which led me further into woodworking as a general hobby.

Thank you IAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom