2 ornaments ala Dario.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

I got these spalted maple burl blanks from Dario and they are awesome. The photography doesn't do justice here. First one has spalted maple finals and the second one has mesquite finials (also from Dario).

2005112211121_sp-mpl-burl_sp-mpl.jpg

2005112211137_sp-mpl-burl_msqt.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Kevin,

You better start selling ornaments....else your tree might collapse at the rate you are producing. LOL.

I like them both but as usual...the firts one appealed to me more.

Ain't it good to finally have good weather to turn? I think it is time to change your signature line [;)]

dubdrvrkev

I guess you're right I should change that since it is cooling off a little. If it gets any cooler I may have to break out a jacket or at least where my long sleeve shirts.
I think I have done 21 ornaments, thats more pens than I've done on the last 4 months. I need to get some made for xmas gifts so I should get going on those too. I think as far as ornaments go I am going to phase into more birdhouses since there seems to be more interest in those. I am bringing my ornaments into work tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

dubdrvrkev

Well Dario, glad to report that I sold enough today to more than pay for the wood I got from you. Now some more and I'll have my tree decorated for free. We may have to talk about those bigger pieces of buckeye burl. I'll turn a non-stabilized blank to see how that goes first though, but let me know what you have size wise. I'll be looking for sizes similar to the mesquite we just did.

Dario

Kevin,

I think I can get those sizes...but not at those lengths due to the nature of buckeye. Email me the dimensions you need (shortest possible) when you are ready.

I prefer the birdhouses too...but I assume they take longer to make.

Glad you sold some [:)]...seems like all that I sell is wood. [V]...well thankfully I am selling some wood. [:I]

woodwish

Kevin,
Those are really nice, although I do like the shape of the bottom "icecicle" better on the first one. I decided last night to try to make a few of these. After destroying the first one trying to hollow it (btw, anytime the inner diameter excedes the outer diameter it really makes a mess), and then making the hole too large on the second one for the icecicle I had already made, I was finally successful on the third. But then my wife decided the woods I had used, bocote and maple, clashed with each other. Oh well . . .

dubdrvrkev

Thanks everyone.
Ray, I make a bunch of finials at a time then make the bulbs. That way I can just see what combonations I like, some work better than others. I try to keep the holes in both ends the same so I can flip it over it the shape works better one way or another. Sometimes you can save the one that you blow through. My album has one in there that was an oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom