1870's Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buckmark13

I thought you all might like to see pictures of this lathe. Apparently it's from the 1870's and still gets used on most days.
1c31a47f78a7a34970e6c26ed200fccd.jpg
a4468c35d6acf68f8ca585ed7144f06b.jpg
5ad1030d186096f325812e3c062c8091.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buckmark13

First off, it's definitely not mine, though I wish it was. I love old tools and just seeing this was fascinating.

I happen to be in New Orleans and it was in a shop that sells handmade wooden items; band saw boxes, bowls, cutting boards, etc. No pens though??

Apparently it's the owner's lathe and he still uses it most days. Unfortunately he wasn't there otherwise I'd have talked him into letting me take a video of him turning on it.

dpstudios

What was the name of the shop. I'd love to see this thing in action and maybe get that video you wanted.
in a similar vein, many years ago I had a scroll saw that worked the same way, tractor seat and pedals.

randywa

I suspect this would be just like a bow lathe for me. My lack of coordination and concentration would run up the band-aid bill. I would love it though.

Buckmark13

What was the name of the shop. I'd love to see this thing in action and maybe get that video you wanted.
in a similar vein, many years ago I had a scroll saw that worked the same way, tractor seat and pedals.
Hey Dan,

I just left town but luckly, or maybe not, I was there for Halloween....but I digress.

I didn't get the name of the shop, but will figure it out for you as I know roughly where it was. Give me a day or so and I'll get back to you.

Had the barbecue shrimp at Mrs. B's last night....tremendous meal!!

Buckmark13

Hey Dan,

I just left town but luckly, or maybe not, I was there for Halloween....but I digress.

I didn't get the name of the shop, but will figure it out for you as I know roughly where it was. Give me a day or so and I'll get back to you.

Had the barbecue shrimp at Mrs. B's last night....tremendous meal!!
It's a place called The Idea Factory and is at 924 Royal Street.

More4dan

I saw this lathe from the early 1800's, 1830s I believe. It belonged to Brigham Young, it's in a museum in Salt Lake City. It would take some talent to stand on one foot while pumping on the treadle board with the other foot while trying to hold the tool steady to turn the wood. You would end up with a larger left leg than the right too.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 188

Dinosaurnut

That is awesome! Looks like a very similar mechanism to my grandmothers old sewing machine. I'm on my way to NOLA, I'd love to see it in person! Was it on Royal St by any chance?

BeeAMaker

These old machines has some fairly up to date technology as well - they stop when you feel flesh hit the blade ;)

They must keep a clean shop, I find it intriguing that there is dust on the ways, but not the floor.

dogcatcher

That lathe can easily be replicated, there are literally millions of old treadle sewing machine cabinets for sale across the country. Gut one of them and make a small lathe out of wood based on the plans on the Internet. How do I know, one of my former neighbors used to make fishing lures using one he made. Worked pretty good once you get the feet coordinated and using soft wood made it easy. I forget how, but also he jack shafted the speed so he had a real high RPM.

Buckmark13

That is awesome! Looks like a very similar mechanism to my grandmothers old sewing machine. I'm on my way to NOLA, I'd love to see it in person! Was it on Royal St by any chance?
It's a place called The Idea Factory and is at 924 Royal Street.

Top Bottom