12" Tool Rest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman

I am in need of help. I own a jet mini lathe and would like to get a 12" tool rest for it. I talked to a supplier who has the one sold by PSI and he said he didn't like it. I have not been able to find any option. Can anyone please help. Fisherman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

This is what I use, it's a modular set sold by CSUSA so you will also need the appropriate size tool post. I have used these on my Delta midi (same size I think as the Jet mini) and then bought a bigger tool post when I bought my full-size Jet last year. I love them, they are hard enough to not nick, I love the round shape instead of flat, and one post will hold several different sizes as needed. I think they also sell a full set with the post and a variety of lengths of the rests-
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=361-0012

Randy_

Frank is on the right track. I did the same thing!! But to be honest, I never use the thing. I have a 4" and a 6" rest that I use almost exclusively. Of course, I only do pens and other small items. I've got a pepper mill kit that will take all of the Jets 14" capability and I may use the longer rest on it??

Chuck Key

I use this one:

http://www.store.yahoo.com/bestwoodtools/tbarmodtools.html

and look at this [:)]

http://www.store.yahoo.com/bestwoodtools/penpalcenfin.html

Chuckie

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />I use this one:

http://www.store.yahoo.com/bestwoodtools/tbarmodtools.html

and look at this [:)]

http://www.store.yahoo.com/bestwoodtools/penpalcenfin.html

Chuckie

Did I mention that my custom made tool rests cost $10.00. [:p]
That little center finder looks handy. I use a large plastic one.

fritzmccorkle

i was the supplier. what i don't like about the one i got from PSI is that the post mounts to the back of the tool rest and each time i move along it my finger bangs into the post and bolts that mount it. i have some round bar type tool rests made by sorby and really like them. only disadvantage is that since it's a round bar you have to be a slight amount further back from the turning so that you're not on the bevel of the tool if you're using a heavily bevelled gouge or some such tool. i forget exactly what fisherman's application was but he had a specific purpose for wanting the longer tool rest. i know i wanted mine for making backscratchers.

Chuck Key

Great, now I can justify going out and buying a $350 Plus welder to make a $10 tool rest. The welding shops around here charge a hundred bucks every time you open their door let alone getting them to do some work.

Chuckie
...a plastic center finder, gasp

Edited for technical problem with quote.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />

Great, now I can justify going out and buying a $350 Plus welder to make a $10 tool rest. The welding shops around here charge a hundred bucks every time you open their door let alone getting them to do some work.

Chuckie
...a plastic center finder, gasp

Edited for technical problem with quote.

Gotta be a local guy who charges fairly. My daughter, visiting from Colorado Springs, is getting new brakes put on her car as I type this. All four wheels, total cost will be about $180.00. Same job in CS cost almost $600.00. Maybe I should sell these things for $20.00 each. This is the one I use for pens and other small turnings.

20051221194958_tool%20rest.jpg
<br />

Randy_

Originally posted by Rifleman<br />.....Gotta be a local guy who charges fairly. My daughter, visiting from Colorado Springs, is getting new brakes put on her car as I type this.....

Speaking of brakes, my tool rest was welded by the guy at the local muffler shop!!

Draken

Contact SWOODWRKNG from this site, he makes some great tool rests, quite reasonable in price. Recently received a 3", 4" and 8" from him for $35 + S&H. Look back in the archives, he had an individual ad early this year where you can see what they look like. Here's the link:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6145&SearchTerms=rest

Full disclosure: I'm a happy customer, but otherwise, have no financial gain by sending any potential business his way.

Draken

woodwish

The set that Chuckie posted a Yahoo link to (in a reply above) by Best Wood Tools is the same one I posted a link to from CSUSA. I bought the whole set with a post for my Delta Midi and then a new post when I bought my full size Jet. Don't really remember what the set costs but it was more than $10, however I feel that it was worth every penny. I love the round shape for how I turn, I love the interchangability, I always have a rest the right length, they store nicely, don't rust, etc. Having one custom-welded just didn't seem feasible for me.

Fisherman

I want to thank all of you guys who have replyed. I now have many more things to think about. I want a long one for turning vases so that I can turn it all at once without having to move the rest. Thanks again.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom