Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is how many txt messages my 13 year old daughter SENT in one month

Figuring out 8 hours of sleep a day, that is about 1 txt message for every 30 minutes

Luckily, she has unlimited txt messaging

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

If text messaging catch on as bad as it is in the Philippines...we will see more kids like your daughter soon.

Philippines is known as "text capital" of the world. They are being used as guinea pig for new products and text messaging has been a big hit there since late 1990's.

Funny that it is just starting here...we are supposed to be ahead technologically!

lkorn

I spent an hour once watching my 16 y/o neice on the computer "chatting" with 5 or 6 people at once. She must have sent and received several hundred messages before she finally was tossed off by her mother. How she can track all those conversations is completely beyond me. Talk about multi-tasking! This is all after school, while talking on the phone to yet another friend.

Originally posted by lkorn
<br />I spent an hour once watching my 16 y/o neice on the computer "chatting" with 5 or 6 people at once. She must have sent and received several hundred messages before she finally was tossed off by her mother. How she can track all those conversations is completely beyond me. Talk about multi-tasking! This is all after school, while talking on the phone to yet another friend.

Yup she is on IM too, with about the same amount conversations going on at once too.

I'm pretty tough, I only let her on IM for 30 minutes at a time with 90 minute break inbetween and she can only chat with friends I KNOW. She also has a 9:00 computer curfew.

She gets mad at me sometimes because of the limits I set for her but you can't be too careful nowadays.

rtjw

She gets mad at me sometimes because of the limits I set for her but you can't be too careful nowadays.

She may get mad now but she will be thankful later. I have decided that our kids will never be able to get on the IM and they will never get an XBOX or GAMECUBE or anything else like that.

Originally posted by rtjw
<br />

She may get mad now but she will be thankful later. I have decided that our kids will never be able to get on the IM and they will never get an XBOX or GAMECUBE or anything else like that.

Good Move Johnny. We don't have any gamecube or Xbox either. My two girls talked me into IM early this year. I'm sorry I let them. But it kind of works out. When they where smaller I would say "Santa's Watching You!" Now I get to say "I'm gonna drop DSL and remove the internet!!"

Don't take me wrong, both my girl are good, straight A students and all, but they are still teenagers!

What they don't know is I can read and write in leet like they can
Wh47 7h3Â¥ Ã0n'7 |{n0w 1$ 1 (4n r34à 4nà wr173 1n £337 £1|{3 7h3Â¥ (4n

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />
Originally posted by lkorn
<br />I spent an hour once watching my 16 y/o neice on the computer "chatting" with 5 or 6 people at once. She must have sent and received several hundred messages before she finally was tossed off by her mother. How she can track all those conversations is completely beyond me. Talk about multi-tasking! This is all after school, while talking on the phone to yet another friend.

Yup she is on IM too, with about the same amount conversations going on at once too.

I'm pretty tough, I only let her on IM for 30 minutes at a time with 90 minute break inbetween and she can only chat with friends I KNOW. She also has a 9:00 computer curfew.

You get the good Dad award. Hang in there. Kids really want limits set.

Ron Mc

Ron,
You lost me bad. What is Leet? I have a son in college and a 15 year old at home so I might need to know about this thing called Leet.

Ron, leet is sort of a coded short hand that teenagers use for email and txt messages.
Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet.

Gerry IM is Instant Messenger

Ron Mc

I have a hard enough time with English! Now I need to figure out Leet? I'll tell you what I'm glad my kids are as old as they are.[:D]

Chuck Key

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />This is the link Ron meant to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Thats interesting. The link says: Leetspeak was first used by hackers (usually teenaged, and termed r0dents at the time) on Bulletin Board Systems. At one time I had 62 telephone lines coming into my house[:0] all connected to a DOS based Bulletin Board System. The software has been running on a computer here at the house since 1990 however the BBS basically died in the mid 90's with the rise in internet. I keep it running to continue using the mail server for internet mail. If anyone has not experienced a BBS and would like to try it out go to the following link and use:

login-ID Guest
Password penturner

Here is the link:

telnet://firechat.com

Ron, you daughter my be interested in trying it out too.

Chuckie

Texas Taco

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
What they don't know is I can read and write in leet like they can
Wh47 7h3Â¥ Ã0n'7 |{n0w 1$ 1 (4n r34à 4nà wr173 1n £337 £1|{3 7h3Â¥ (4n

What's scary is I can read it too. [:0] Two minutes ago I couldn't even pronounce bilingual and now I are one.

Czarcastic

Originally posted by rtjw
I have decided that our kids will never be able to get on the IM and they will never get an XBOX or GAMECUBE or anything else like that.

Johnny,
That goes here as well. No video games in this house. In fact, my kids (15 and 12) have to "buy" TV time with reading time. One for one. An hour of reading buys them an hour of TV time. No reading, no TV. The only exceptions are Football games on Saturday and Sunday[;)], and they get (mostly) unlimited watching of History Channel, Discovery Channel, Learning Channel, and a few others.

That's been a rule in my house since they were very small. Both kids are carrying a 4.0 GPA at school, so I'm not about to change that, either.

Paul in OKC

Same here. We got an original Nentendo and I decided that was more than enough. Computer time and content was monitered as was/is TV with them and now with my 8 yr old daughter. Time is earned, or lost. My boys didn't have cell phones until they could get one for themselves, which of course ment a job. One son that worked well with. Unfortunately the other moved out to mama's were there were little restrictions. (Fortunatly he is still a decent young man, had to be the early years with me[:D][:D])

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom