1/2 boy 1/2 man

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brokenbit

The average age of the military man is 19 years. He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy.

He's not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax
his own car than wash his father's, but he has never collected unemployment either.

He's a recent High School graduate; he was probably an average student, who pursued some form of sports activities, drives a ten year old car or truck, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away.

He listens to rock and roll, country, hip-hop, rap, jazz, swing or even Bluegrass ,

--- and a 155mm howitzer.

He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk.

He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and he can now reassemble it in less time in the dark.

He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must.

He digs foxholes and latrines, but he can
apply first aid like a professional.

He marches until he is told to stop, and he will stop and be vigilant until he is told to march.

He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity. He is self-sufficient.

He has two sets of fatigues: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry. He forgets sometimes to brush his teeth, but never
to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts.

If you're thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food. He'll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.

He has learned to use his hands like weapons and his weapons like they were his hands. He can save your life - or take it, because that is his job.

He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay, and still find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering and death than he should have in his short lifetime.

He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat --- and he is unashamed.

He 'feels' every note of the National Anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention. If he is in public he does the same while tempering the burning desire to 'square-away' those around him who haven't bothered to stand, remove their hat, or stop talking or laughing.

In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful. Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom.

Beardless or not, he is not a boy.
He is the American Fighting Man that has kept this country free for over 200 years..

He has asked for little in return, except
our friendship and understanding.
Remember him, always, for he has truly earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

And now we even have women over there in danger, doing their part too, in this tradition of going to war when our nation calls.

As you go to bed tonight, remember this image. . .

A short lull in the battle, a little shade wherever it can be found and a picture of loved ones in their helmets.

Consider this transmittal as a 'Prayer Wheel' for our military... please don't break it --- Please send this on after a short prayer below or one of your own.

Prayer Wheel

'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us.
Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us, everyday, in this, -- their time of need, for it is our time of need as well. Amen.'

When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our ground troops in Iraq , Afghanistan and all foreign countries or anywhere in harm's way.

There is nothing 'attached'...
This alone should be powerful enough ...

Of all the gifts you could give a US Soldier, Sailor, Coastguardsman, Marine, or Airman, PRAYER is the very best one.
I can't break this one, sorry. Pass it on,--- and PRAY.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Even though they do not stand at my door step. To me it is as if they do. they guard my family even if only through the well being my family receives from their work. They protect all that is worth valuing in my life. I think every one of them from the depths of my heart. I know the price they pay is not cheap. It is a price that make men out of boys, Women out of girls, and Soldiers out of children. I personally have two in my life, both nephews but one is more like a son. He will be deployed next month. He has moved his family to New York to be with his mother in law while he is gone. It is no small price for anyone ever. For those of you with sons, daughters, nieces, nephews or any other loved ones. the next time you speak to them. Please say thank you for me. and I will say thank you to you myself. they are not boys and girls, I do not even consider them only Men and Women, I consider them Heros!

Last edited:

Jim Smith

Thank you! Excellent description of our fighting men and woman and a great message we should always remember.

Jim Smith

Top Bottom